The Best Vacuum for Stairs
It’s time for your weekly or monthly clean and you’ve taken care of every room in your home except for one area, the stairs. We’ve all been there before and the task of cleaning stairs can seem to be more trouble than it’s worth. Luckily, vacuum manufacturers have designed a variety of top-tier units that not only make vacuuming easier, but also make it something you can do on a regular basis.
With the help of the best vacuum for stairs, you won’t have to worry about carrying heavy units to each stair and then holding it up while you bend over to get dirt out of every crevice.
Jump to Our Top Picks:
- Dyson V6 Mattress Handheld Vacuum
- Eureka EasyClean Corded Vacuum
- Bissell Zing Canister Vacuum
- VonHaus 600W Corded Vacuum
- Dirt Devil M08230 Handheld Vacuum
What to Look for in the Best Vacuum for Stairs
When you start shopping for a stair vacuum that is going to give you the most for your money, there are a few important features you’ll want to take into consideration. In fact, all of the best models on the market should include these features as they improve ease of use, convenience, and functionality.
- Powerful Suction: Since it can be difficult to vacuum your stairs on a regular basis, their dirt is going to be harder to get rid of than if you were vacuuming a large flat surface. You’ll want to make sure to buy a vacuum that offers powerful suction as it will help you to not have to go over one area several times before all of the dirt is successfully removed.
- Light Design: There’s nothing more important than making sure your stair vacuum is light and easy for you to carry around. It can be incredibly difficult to deal with a unit that requires you to hold the base while using the nozzle attachment at the same time. Plus, you won’t have to worry about lugging a huge unit up and down the stairs.
- Enhanced Battery Life: If you decide that a cordless model is your best choice for vacuuming carpets, it’s important to find one that has a long-lasting battery. If not, you’ll find yourself cleaning half of your staircase and then returning the unit to its charging base only to wait hours before you can use it again.
- Easy Emptying: It’s impossible to determine how long the dirt has been caked on your stairs and the last thing you’ll want is to touch the dirt when emptying it. Typically the higher end stair vacuums offer easy emptying features where all you’ll have to do is press a button and the dirt reservoir empties itself.
- Cleaning Attachments: Depending on the model you choose, you may also have the ability to take advantage of other cleaning attachments such as crevice tools and extendable nozzles. These attachments can be useful for other areas of your home, such as cleaning your car or the corners of ceilings. If you’re going to put your money into a vacuum for your stairs, it might as well help to clean the rest of your home as well.
All About Our 5 Best Vacuums for Stairs
Dirt Devil M08230 Handheld Vacuum
- Motorized brush
- 16’ power cord
- MicroFresh filtration
- Stretch hose and crevice tool attachment
- Powerful motor
The Dirt Devil M08230 is a basic handheld vacuum that has all of the essential features you’ll need to clean your stairs and upholstery. For its price it’s a relatively powerful handheld model and it’s incredibly easy to use as it doesn’t offer any advanced features.
With the help of the motorized brush you can lift dirt from your carpeting and hardwood including pet hair and small debris. Also, the included crevice tool and stretch hose make it easier to operate in tight spaces.
Unfortunately this model is corded which can make it difficult to clean stairs in the event you don’t have an electrical outlet nearby. Also, it doesn’t offer HEPA filtration but it does have integrated MicroFresh bagged filtration to help eliminate odors.
VonHaus 600W Corded Vacuum
- Powerful suction
- Detachable handheld unit
- 2-liter dirt reservoir
- HEPA and sponge filtration
- 5’ power cord
- Crevice tool, small brush attachment, shoulder strap, and hose adaptor included
The most interesting feature of the VonHaus 600W unit is that it includes both a stick and handheld vacuum. The base unit is easy to use on a variety of different types of flooring on your stairs, though the handheld unit may be easier to use.
With its integrated HEPA and sponge filtration it’s guaranteed that all dirt, dust, and debris can be removed from your carpet. It also helps to purify the air, as the debris will get caught in the sponge filter so it won’t be circulated through the air in your home.
This model offers the perfect amount of suction for different types of flooring and with its 19.5’ power cord, it’s easy to move from one room to another. Also, the handheld unit is completely cordless and offers up to 15 minutes of continuous vacuuming.
Bissell Zing Canister Vacuum
- Powerful suction
- Lightweight design
- Multi-surface cleaning options
- Automatic cord rewind
- Variable suction control
- Full dirt bag indicator
- Telescopic wand attachment included
As a trusted name in vacuum cleaners, the Bissell Zing Canister Vacuum combines performance and a user-friendly design. Unlike other models, this unit offers a multi-surface nozzle that you can adjust depending on the height of your flooring. It can also be used to clean furniture, drapery, the inside of vehicles, and ceilings.
The unit is designed to be incredibly portable which is perfect for cleaning stairs as you won’t have to deal with carrying a heavy vacuum from one level to another.
With its powerful motor, it will easily pick up large and small debris ranging from crumbles of mud to fine pet hair. The only downfall to the Bissell Zing is that it is bagged, which means you will be required to purchase bags along with the unit itself.
Eureka EasyClean Handheld Vacuum
- Powerful suction
- 20’ cord
- Riser visor for cleaning stairs
- Brush roll control
- Small and easy to store
- Lightweight design
- Crevice tool included
Eureka EasyClean may not be the best choice for consumers that don’t have an electrical outlet near their stairs but it does offer the longest cord on our list, measuring at 20’.
The 5.5 amp motor is essential for providing the perfect amount of suction for carpeting and with the heavy-duty brush roll it helps to pick up different types of dirt.
With its small design it is simple to store in any closet or even under furniture.
Another feature that makes the Eureka EasyClean perfect for stairs is its plastic riser visor on the top of the unit. The riser visor is designed to flip to make it incredibly simple to get into the crevices of stairs, plus it includes a detachable crevice tool for deep cleaning.
Users will be able to easily turn the brush roll on and off depending on where they’re cleaning. For example, turning the brush roll on is useful for getting dirt out of high pile carpet whereas turning it off is preferable for harder surfaces.
All of the controls that you will need are accessible by your fingertips with the specially designed ergonomic fingertip control panel. Also, the integrated cord wrap is essential for easily wrapping the vacuum’s cord at the back of the unit for easy storage.
If you’re the type of home owner that is looking for a unit with little to no maintenance you’ll enjoy the Eureka EasyClean because it has a washable dust cup that is easy to remove, easy to empty, and easy to clean with a light detergent.
Dyson V6 Mattress Handheld Vacuum
- Integrated Dyson V6 digital motor
- 2-tier cyclonic suctioning for microscopic particles
- HEPA filtration
- Motorized agitation tool
- Designed to fit into awkward spaces
- 20 minutes of continuous suction
- Max power mode
- Mini soft dusting brush, wide nozzle, and crevice tool included
- Lightweight and ergonomic design
Dyson has been the leader of the vacuum industry and although this vacuum may be the most expensive unit on our list, it also offers the most features and can guarantee spotless stairs.
Don’t be fooled by its name, the Dyson V6 Mattress unit is typically designed for mattresses, but it is fully adaptable to stairs and other types of furniture as well.
The powerful V6 digital motor inside of the unit is designed to specifically remove harmful allergens from surfaces and to penetrate even the plushest fibers to remove deep-rooted dirt and grime.
Its 2-tier radical cyclones are essential for preventing dust, dander, and hair from recirculating in the air as it traps all of the dirt inside of the unit until it is emptied. Also, the integrated HEPA filtration guarantees to remove up to 99.97% of particles that are as small as .3 microns.
The main reason for the Dyson V6 Mattress Handheld Vacuum earning the number 1 spot on our list is because of the motorized mattress tool. This unique component agitates fibers to release dust and allergens that you wouldn’t be able to see with the naked eye. Instead of simply suctioning dirt out of your stairs, it will purposefully agitate the material to bring dirt to the surface for an incredibly thorough clean.
The unit is lightweight and ergonomically designed to ensure the center of gravity is balanced in the middle of the unit, making it more comfortable for you to use on a regular basis.
With 20 minutes of continuous suction and a max power mode that lasts up to 6 minutes, you’ll get the deepest clean possible with the help of this Dyson unit.
What We Like/Don’t Like About Our 5 Best Vacuums for Stairs
- Proven to remove allergens
- Automatic shutoff to protect battery life
- Smart and elegant design
- Multi-surface cleaning
- Versatile attachments
- Phenomenal suction
- Simple to recharge
- Can be difficult to hold at first
- Insufficient battery life on full power
- Perfect for cleaning pet hair
- Riser visor helps to clean the sides and tops of stairs
- Offers the perfect amount of power
- Cord is long enough to vacuum entire sets of stairs
- Unit tends to overheat with continuous use
- Difficulty winding the cord at the back of the unit
- Many attachments to choose from
- Enough power to easily vacuum stairs
- Easy to carry due to its lightweight design
- Affordable cost
- Attachments have difficulty staying on the hose
- Flexible tube doesn’t fully rotate
- Constructed out of thin and low-quality materials
- Relatively noisy while operating
- Puts a vacuum exhaust odor into the air
- Incredible lightweight design
- Useful attachments
- Great for cleaning baseboards and different types of flooring
- Limited battery life
- Doesn’t offer a significant difference in suction compared to other handheld models
- Small plastic parts may break off of the unit with regular use
- Intake may get clogged when dealing with large debris
- Skinny crevice tool to get into hard to reach areas
- Sleek design is perfect for cleaning stairs
- Low suction power
- Incredibly loud operation noise
- Dirt will fall out of the nose if held improperly
- Cheaply made construction
Finding the right vacuum for your stairs is simple as long as you know what features you should be looking for. When compared to traditional vacuums, these units are far more affordable and offer the right amount of features to ensure you remove every trace of dust from your stairs.
Recommended Cleaning Guides for You
Categorised in: Vacuum Cleaner