There are many wonderful creatures which walk among us on this planet, – loyal dogs, playful guinea pigs, and adorable rabbits – but none come close to the perfection achieved by cats. Cats are an incredible gift to mankind and some of them have become the biggest celebrities on the internet – like Tardar Sauce, who’s more commonly known as Grumpy Cat. No matter how adorable and lovable they are, cats are still animals and as such, they are prone to ‘accidents’.
If your cat decides that she doesn’t want to ‘go’ in the litter box, you will have a hard time dealing with the mess they make, especially if they pee on a concrete floor. Concrete is a durable and hard material but it is porous and easily absorbs stains. So, cleaning cat urine from concrete floor can be hard but not impossible. Below we have provided step-by-step instructions on how you can remove cat urine from a concrete floor.
How to Remove Cat Urine from Concrete Floor – Step-by-Step
1. Locate the Urine
The first thing to do is to locate the spots where cat urine might have ended up. Use a UV light or blacklight) to scan the floor for signs of pee. Mark these areas with chalk for reference.
2. Cleaning the Area
Next, you need to scrub the affected area of the concrete floor with common household cleaning supplies like Trisodium Phosphate (TSP), vinegar, or hydrogen peroxide.
- Trisodium Phosphate
- EVERY PURCHASE SAVES PETS. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- VACUUM & WASH AT THE SAME TIME, BISSELL CrossWave multi-surface floor cleaner cleans better than a sponge mop and bucket, and in less time.
- MULTI-SURFACE CLEANING. Safe and effective for use on tile, sealed wood floors, laminate, linoleum, rubber floor mats, pressed wood floors, area rugs, and more.
- TWO-TANK TECHNOLOGY. Keeps clean water and formula separate from dirty water and dry debris, so you always clean everyday messes with fresh solution
- DUAL-ACTION MULTI-SURFACE BRUSH ROLL. The innovative microfiber and nylon brush rotates at 3000 RPM, while also mopping and picking up dry debris at same time.
Last update on 2024-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Trisodium Phosphate is a powerful cleaning solution that can get rid of the toughest of urine stains. This chemical can damage your skin so wear goggles and protective clothing while using it. Add half cup of TSP per gallon of hot water. Apply the resulting mixture to the affected surface. Work a small area at a time because this solution evaporates quickly.
Use a soft, cotton cloth to scrub the pee spot and allow the mixture to sit for five minutes. If it dries any sooner, apply more mixture to the surface. After this, pour hot water onto the affected area of the concrete floor and remove it with a wet vacuum cleaner. Rinse twice again and allow the area to dry overnight.
Vinegar is great for skin, but it is also a powerful, natural cleaning agent. Mix two-parts vinegar in one-part hot water to create a diluted solution. Apply it like TSP to clean the affected area. Vinegar is a safer alternative and won’t cause any damage to your skin so use it if you want to steer clear of harmful solutions.
It is worth noting that vinegar can react with the alkaline in the concrete floor, creating unwanted patterns. So before applying it on the stained surface, test it on a small area.
- Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is quite effective in cleaning cat urine from concrete floor. Create a solution by adding two teaspoonfuls of baking soda and two drops of Dawn dish soap to two cups of hydrogen peroxide in a glass. Stir it until the baking soda dissolves completely. Spray the mixture on the areas where you found urine. The sitting mixture will work into the concrete, eliminating traces of cat urine as it soaks. Repeat this process every day for at least three days to ensure that the urine is dissolved.
3. Treatment of the Urine Stain
Once you have removed the cat urine, the next step is to treat the affected area of the concrete floor with an enzymatic cleaner. Enzymatic cleaners are usually available in a concentrated form and they break down the uric acid to remove the unpleasant odors. Follow the specific mixing instructions of the product as some formulas need to be mixed with a carpet cleaner in addition to water.
Pour a small portion of the enzymatic cleaner onto the urine stain and work in a small area at a time. Allow the solution to stay on the spot for at least 10 minutes before drying so that it soaks in completely. You can use a scrub brush on tougher areas. Allow the area to dry naturally overnight and lay a tarp over it if it is drying too fast. Once all the affected areas of the concrete floor have been treated and dry, you can move to the final step.
In this step, you’ll place a protective covering over the affected area so that the urine doesn’t penetrate the surface if your cat pees there in the future. Using a concrete cleaner, wash the entire floor and allow it to dry for a day. Next, seal any cracks with concrete caulk. After this, apply a concrete sealer on the floor as per the instructions on its label.
Q.1) What is the best cleaner for cat urine?
There are many commercial products available in the market that can be used for cleaning cat urine. Some of the best ones include:
- Removes cat urine, vomit, hairballs, fees, and more
- For use on carpets, floors, furniture, clothing, and more
- Guaranteed to permanently eliminate stains and odors
- Safe for use around pets and children when used as directed
- Packaging may vary
- Certified Gentle And Safe: Chlorine free and color safe. Safe to use around pets and children. No hazardous propellants, no residue left behind. So gentle it’s been Certified Safe for all carpets, earning the Seal of Approval by the trusted Carpet and Rug Institute (cri)
- Eliminates Stains, Odors And Residue: If it’s gross, it’s gone. Not just the stain, but the stink. From stinky yellow pet urine and feces to vomit and other organic spills, our professional strength formula tackles them all.
- Every Surface, Every Time: For use on carpets, floors, furniture, clothing, litter boxes, kennels, carriers, all pet living and sleeping areas—anywhere stains happen.
- Enzyme Activated: The key is getting to the problem deep-down. This spray contains natural enzymes that are activated on contact with odors and stains, feeding on ammonia crystals and organic matter until they are completely eliminated.
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed: An Amazon best seller—for a reason. If your stains and odors aren’t gone, neither is your money. We’ll refund it in full.
- REMOVES PET STAINS- Simple Solution Stain & Odor Remover is formulated to eliminate and neutralize tough dog and cat stains and odors like urine, feces, and vomit
- UNIQUE PRO-BACTERIA FORMULA - This stain and odor remover has a unique Pro-Bacteria and enzyme formula that eliminates stains and odors, and helps prevent repeat marking
- MULTIPLE USES - Safely removes dog and cat stains and odors from carpet, upholstery, bedding, fabric toys, clothing, and other water-safe surfaces in your home
- VERSATILE CLEANING - Our patented 3-in-1 nozzle sprayer gives you more options to tackle stains and odor: stream, foam, or mist
- ELIMINATES THE STUFF OF STAINS AND STINKS: The bio-enzymatic spray activates on contact with ammonia crystals and organic matter and doesnt stop working until it has eliminated every trace of urine, feces, vomit and any other gross stuff it digs up.
- GIVE IT PERMISSION TO GO ANYWHERE IN YOUR HOUSE: You can trust it on carpets, floors, furniture, clothing, litter boxes, kennels, carrier, anywhere pets can go and stains could happen.
- WELL-BEHAVED AROUND PETS AND KIDS: With no chlorine, no chemical propellants, and nothing that stains or fades colors, its your houses best friend. Its even been Certified Safe for all carpets, fetching the Seal of Approval by the trusted Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI).
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: If your worst stains and odors arent gone, neither is your money. Well give you a full refund, no questions asked.
- AN AMAZING ALL PURPOSE CLEANER USING NATURAL ENZYMES. Professional strength and all-purpose, you can use to clean virtually anything in your home, and clean without traditional chemicals. Use it as your go-to pet stain remover and carpet cleaner for stains and smells. Use it to remove laundry stains and odors from your clothing. Use it as a general go-to cleaner on virtually any other surfaces. SUPER CONCENTRATE makes 2 GALLONS (256 oz) of full strength product. Made in the USA!
- CONCENTRATED, SUSTAINABLE, OPTIMIZED PACKAGING. Concentrated formula saves up to 1,600% of packaging vs. most cleaners. We use a small fraction of the water used in similar products, which needs far less energy for packaging and shipping and reduced transportation emissions. Thereby leaving a much smaller carbon and waste footprint which is better for the environment. Completely free of fragrance, dyes, optical brighteners, bleach or ammonia. Never tested on animals.
- EFFECTIVELY REMOVES ANY TYPE OF STAIN OR ODOR: It removes odors completely by breaking down the raw materials actually causing the odor, rather than masking it with a chemical fragrance. So now you can remove tough stains and odors with one product. All of those dog and cat smells emanating from litter boxes, laundry, furniture, car interiors and carpeting can now be eliminated. Clean and deodorize all the areas around your home with this natural enzyme cleaner.
- INCREDIBLY VERSATILE. USE EFFECTIVELY ON VIRTUALLY ANY PERMEABLE SURFACE, FOR ANY PURPOSE. Apply it where you need it to eliminate odors and stains. Naturally breaks down and eliminates blood, sweat, oil, grass, makeup, fruit, red wine, mud, cosmetics and countless other stains and odors. Effective on clothing, linens, carpets, floor mats, rugs, collars, dress shirts, bedding, car seats, cloth diapers and other washable fabrics. Safer for pet beds, litter boxes, bird cages, etc.
- WE BELIEVE REMOVING STAINS & ODORS FROM YOUR HOME SHOULD NOT BE DANGEROUS OR HAVE HARMFUL SIDE EFFECTS. Cleaning enzymes are some of the most powerful ingredients in nature to provide you with safer natural chemistry. Enzymes naturally break down and consume the organic and biological materials that cause stains and smells.
Last update on 2024-01-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- Nature’s Miracle Just for Cat Stain and Odor Remover
- Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator
- Simple Solution Pet Stain and Odor Remover
- BUBBAS Super Strength Commercial Enzyme Cleaner
- Life Miracle Enzyme Cleaner & Pet Odor Eliminator Concentrate
Q.2) How to prevent cats from peeing on the floor?
- If you have multiple floors, you must keep at least one little box on each floor. This may prevent the cat from peeing in other areas of your home.
- Make sure that the litter boxes of your cat are as clean as possible. Choose the largest liter boxes possible and keep them uncovered. Some cats feel cramped inside a covered litter and, therefore, avoid using it.
- Place litter boxes in an easily accessible area of your house.
- If inappropriate urination doesn’t go away, consult with your veterinarian. There could be a medical problem behind the issue like diabetes, kidney disease or urinary tract inflammation.
Wrap Up on Cleaning Cat Urine from Concrete Floor
If your cat ever pees on the concrete follow, follow our instructions to clean the urine and eliminate its odor. Cleaning cat urine from concrete floor demands a lot of hard work so spent time properly potty training your cat and take the steps listed above to prevent it from peeing outside the litter box.
People Also Like: