The world of cleaning is changing before our eyes and has become much simpler with the help of technology. With the growing popularity of automated cleaning tools, it poses the question do robotic vacuums really work? Many cleaning aficionados are impressed with their capabilities, but like many products, there are advantages and disadvantages to relying on technology.
Did you find this post useful? Save THIS PIN above to your Cleaning Tips Board on Pinterest and check them later again!
What Are Robotic Vacuums?
Robotic vacuums (or Robot vacuums) are small low-profile machines that deal with vacuuming so you don’t have to. Depending on the model you choose you can either schedule a set time for the vacuum to clean or you can manually start the machine. They will work their way through your property and pick up dirt, dust, and other forms of fine debris.
The main appeal with robotic vacuums is that they are all automated, meaning you won’t have to worry about carrying upright, canister, or stick vacuums up and down stairs, trying to vacuum hard to reach areas, or setting time aside to sufficiently clean your home. They’re powerful, convenient, and in some cases, they’re also quite affordable.
- What You Get: RoboVac 11S, remote control (2 AAA batteries included), charging base, AC power adapter, cleaning tool, 1 side brush, user manual, and our worry-free 12-month warranty.
Last update on 2023-08-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The Pros and Cons of Robot Vacuums
- Vacuum effortlessly on their own
- Variety of features
- Can sometimes include a mobile application
- Offer the ability to set cleaning schedules
- Have integrated safety features to protect your furniture and walls
- Have a low-profile design to get underneath beds and couches
- Include powerful motors to deal with tough dirt and grime
- Great for dealing with pet hair and other types of debris
- Charge themselves at the end of every clean
- Easy to store in small spaces
- Useful for different types of flooring
- Can be costly
- Takes more time to vacuum than with a traditional manually operated unit
- Dirt reservoirs need to be emptied and cleaned more regularly
- Battery life can be an issue depending on the size of your home
- Units without anti-tangling features can get clogged
- Some units can get stuck
Extensive Features of Robot Vacuums
The main reason as to why home owners look into robotic vacuums is because they typically have an extensive list of features that you wouldn’t be able to find with a traditional vacuum.
No products found.
- Mobile Applications: It can be incredibly convenient to start your vacuum remotely or to manage its settings and cleaning schedules from your smartphone or tablet. The majority of robotic vacuums offer an app that you can download and you can find tips and tricks for using your unit, program specific schedules, check on the progress of the cleaning, and more.
- Safety Mechanisms: Robotic vacuums are incredibly safe for children and pets as all of their mechanisms are encased in high quality metal or plastic. Also, you won’t have to worry about the integrity of your home as they typically have several sensors. These sensors are designed to help the unit create a floor plan of your property so they can easily avoid obstacles such as furniture, walls, floor lamps, and even stairs.
- Dual Cleaning: Instead of relying on a traditional vacuuming, there are robotic vacuums that sweep and mop such as the ILIFE V5s. Depending on the type of flooring you have and the amount of dirt, these models may be preferable as they give you the ability to get rid of grime and then sanitize the floor for optimal cleanliness.
- Self-Emptying: One concern that has come to the attention of robotic vacuum manufacturers is the inconvenience of having to frequently empty dirt reservoirs. This is where self-emptying robotic vacuums come into play, as they fully automate the entire cleaning process. The Ecovacs D79 is just one of the many popular robotic vacuums that empties itself at the end of a clean.
- Power: Overall the power inside of a robotic vacuum is far superior to what you’d expect. It may not be as powerful as an upright vacuum, but for a small unit it offers enough strength to deal with hidden dirt in high and low pile carpet as well as other types of hard flooring.
Robot Vacuum vs Upright Vacuum
- CLEAN SMARTER - The 600 series is a great way to begin cleaning your home smarter. Just schedule it to clean up daily dirt, dust, and debris with the iRobot HOME app or your voice assistant. - for effortlessly clean floors.
- LOOSENS, LIFTS, & SUCTIONS - The 3 Stage Cleaning system & Dual Multi-Surface brushes grab dirt from carpets & hard floors, an Edge-Sweeping brush takes care of corners & edges.
- LEARNS YOUR LIFE LISTENS TO YOUR VOICE - Learns your cleaning habits to offer up personalized schedules, while Google Assistant & Alexa allow you to start cleaning with just the sound of your voice.
- ADAPTIVE NAVIGATION - A full suite of advanced sensors allow Roomba to navigate under & around furniture, & along edges. Cliff Detect keeps it from falling down stairs.
- SENSES & ELIMINATES DIRT - Dirt Detect Sensors alert your robot about dirtier areas of your home, like high-traffic spots, & cleans them more thoroughly.
Last update on 2023-08-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
When considering a robot vacuum vs upright it’s important to consider the features that make then different from one another, as you’ll want to make the right purchase.
- Offer an extensive catalog of features
- Technologically advanced
- Easy to store due to their small size
- Powerful on all types of flooring
- Useful for hard-to-reach areas
- Perfect all types of homes including small apartments and large houses
- Takes a longer time to finish cleaning
- Offer a certain amount of battery life, typically 2 hours of consistent cleaning
- User-friendly, minimal room for user error
- Gives you the ability to clean quickly
- Phenomenal for deep cleaning carpets
- Adjustable rolling brushes for pile thicknesses
- Unlimited power as they are typically plugged into a wall socket
- Traditional in design
- Manual use
- Larger in size, more difficult to store in small spaces
- Difficult to carry around while cleaning
- Need to use attachments to get to hard to reach areas
Cleaning Large and Small Properties
Your property size shouldn’t be a concern when dealing with robotic vacuums, mostly because they generally have enough battery life to work on one floor at a time. Once they run out of power, they will dock themselves and finish the clean on their own.
They are perfect for cleaning hardwood floors, laminate floors, thick carpet, and tile floors in small apartments.
Cleaning Under and Around Furniture
Robotic vacuums are also preferable because they easily clean under and around the furniture in your home. You won’t have to worry about moving couches or tables as you would with an upright vacuum. Instead, the robotic will automatically navigate through hard to reach areas. You’ll find your home has never been cleaner as they get to areas you never thought of such as behind curtains and closet floors.
Perfect for Pet Owners
Another great advantage to robotic vacuums is they are specifically designed to help pet owners, especially those dealing with dog hair and long hair (more on best robotic vacuum for dog hair) . There’s nothing more frustrating than having a pet that has the tendency to shed, and although you love them, you don’t love the dirt they leave behind.
Your robotic vacuum will pay special attention to pet hair and suction it into the dirt reservoir more effortlessly than any other types of vacuums. Whether you’re dealing with a pug or an Australian Shepherd, you can rest assured that pet hair won’t be a problem any longer.
Finding a Robot Vacuum for Under $200
Instead of breaking the bank and putting a lot of money into a cleaning tool, home owners can easily find a robotic vacuum for under $200. One of the largest disadvantages that are assumed about these unique cleaning tools is that they cost an insurmountable fortune. There are manufacturers with units that cost far more than you would expect, but these models also include luxurious features that you may not need.
If you’re shopping on a budget, you can easily find an inexpensive unit that offers the right amount of help when it comes to getting your home clean.
All in all, robotic vacuums have been tested, tried, and proven true in residential and commercial properties around the world. If you’re looking for an innovative tool that will change the way you clean, they are essential.