How to Clean an Area Rug with Pressure Washer
For many of us, area rugs are a significant personality in décor. They warm up and add the color to our rooms as well as providing soft places for game playing, movie watching, and slumber partying. However, kids, visitors, and pets can make them dirty, and it’s up to you to maintain them tidy. This article shows you how to clean an area rug with pressure washer.
For rugs to last for long, you have to give them a regular cleaning. Sure, you can send out a carpet to be cleaned by professionals, but it isn’t necessary. You can perform excellently by cleaning your rugs at home if you have the right equipment. You only need the best pressure washer, and you will have it sparkling clean like a new one.
As they are made of different types of materials, you need to make sure your area rug can be cleaned with a pressure washer and if there will be any effects. Not all area rugs are made from power washable materials. Some are spot-cleaned, dry-cleaned, and others laundered.
What Materials Do You Need For This DIY Project?
- Dishwashing fluid-1/3-1 Tsp
- Stiff bristled broom or scrub brush –it helps if you have nasty spots
- Drying Equipment
- Of course, your dirty area rug
- An electric pressure washer with a garden hose
- A large cleaning
- Laundry detergent
Hint: This cool Youtube video demonstrates how to pressure wash polyester rug with Ryobi RY14122 1700 PSI 1.2 GPM Electric Power Washer . According to the video, it is suggested NOT to try this on expensive antique rugs!! Don’t even try it on natural fiber rugs, like cotton or wool also.
Steps in Cleaning the Rug
- Choosing the cleaning area
Make sure you find a clean station not to dirty the rug. The most suitable areas for cleaning is a wooden deck or concrete sidewalk. You should never think of power washing your material inside the house as water from the power washer might be troublesome.
- Prepare For the Actual Cleaning
To begin cleaning, lay the rug upside down. This is to allow you to get the compacted at the bottom of the rug. You can first sweep it thoroughly on both sides to remove any loose dirt. This is the best way to prepare your material for thorough cleaning. Removing any debris, hair, food substances, and soil particles enable the pressure washer to clean the immense dirt excellently.
- Engage your Materials.
At this point, you need to check the most appropriate detergent to apply to achieve positive results. Some detergents might not be suitable because they can cause discoloration. To accomplish this, view the instructions on the area rug. Many people who don’t know how to clean an area rug with pressure washer end up messing at this point. So, take caution not to ruin your darling home décor.
- Check Your Machine
Before you press the trigger, attend to the machine. Check if it is well oiled, has the necessary attachments and accessories. If your device uses electric or oil, make sure it is well powered and can perform the task at hand. Some devices may be faulty and cannot hence clean well. Also, check if the nozzles are sturdy enough and connect the hose to the water source.
- Wash the Area Rug Gently
Apply some detergent on the area rug if your washer doesn’t have a soap tank. It is essential to use a cleaning aid to sanitize. Hold the wand about 0.3metres from the area rug surface. Now pull the trigger on the washer to apply the pressure sufficiently on the material.
Do not hold so close or too far because it damages the area rug, blow it away, or fail to live to its expectations. To make sure that the pressure cleaner works efficiently, pass it over the surface moderately taking out any spots, accumulated dirt, or dust.
- Rinse Thoroughly
After you have cleaned the area rug with water, now rinse thoroughly removing all the soap and make it shine all over. Rinse up to every bit of it to ensure that traces of soap are not left. Repeat the process several times to become sure it is correctly done.
- Drying the Area Rug
After you have finished with the cleaning, find the perfect drying spot where you can place it to dry. Different places are suitable depending on the weight and size. Also, the ideal spot should free from any dirt or dust that and accessible to the wind. Many people prefer the hanging lines as they expose the area rug to sunlight and wind to dry up faster.
Dos and Don’ts of Cleaning Area Rug with a Pressure Washer
- Use the right equipment and cleaning solution. There are so many pressure washers out there as well as cleaning aids not all of them are apt. The right tools clean well without under cleaning or overdoing it. The solution should be the one that does not cause bleaching of your area rug. Gentle cleaning solutions are the best.
- Use the right pressure. Applying the correct pressure is essential not to destroy the material used in making the area rug. Choose the cleaner as specified in the instructions or user manual. In this case, you can start with the lowest pressure going upwards.
- Maintain the right distance. As we saw previous, the proper range should not be too short or too long. It should be one that dispenses water to the rug in the most accurate manner.
- Use pressure washer on the right surface. As we know, there are many types of materials that aren’t compatible with the pressure washer. Hence, check if the rug is pressure washable to avoid damage.
- Do not use hot water. There is no need of using hot water since it is already pressured. When hot water passes the pressure washer, it alters the amount of pressure.
- Do not point the nozzle to close. Bringing the nozzle very close automatically damages the area rug or disorganizes it, and thus you should maintain the 12-inch distance.
To sum it up…How to Clean an Area Rug with Pressure Washer
Now you know how to clean an area rug with a pressure. It is a simple task and yields very positive results when done correctly. Make the process more comfortable and less cumbersome by following this appropriate procedure, and you will find it utterly fantastic. Get the best tools and get the job done without hiring a professional. For perfection, read through the user manual and get to know what is required.
People Also Viewed:
- Worx Pressure Washer Review
- Best Pressure Washer for Commercial Use
- Best Pressure Washer for Cleaning Concrete
- Best Pressure Washer for Car Detailing
- Karcher vs Ryobi vs Generac vs Greenworks vs Simpson Pressure Washer
Categorised in: Pressure Washer