If your house is infested with mice, you’re likely to find their urine droppings everywhere. Mice are notorious for urinating on absolutely everything. Their urine has a pungent smell which, if left untreated, will linger in the room for a long period. Even though cleaning up after mice is a challenging task, the real challenge is to clean mouse urine from wood surfaces. Since wood is porous, it is likely to soak up mouse urine. So if you come across any such droppings on your furniture or wooden floor, you should start the cleaning process at the earliest.
How to Clean Mouse Urine from Wood
People often ask “is mouse urine toxic to humans?” Mice are usually the carriers of a flu-like infectious disease called hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, and it is transmitted to people through the infected mice’s droppings, saliva, or urine. This is why experts recommend to clean up the area where mice have been with bleach, alcohol, or household disinfectants at the earliest.
Cleaning Up After Mice: Things to Consider
Before you clean mouse urine from wood, seal the entryways to ensure that no rodent can get inside your house and lay down mouse traps across your house. If no mice are captured, it means that the active infestation is eliminated from your house.
Steps to Clean Mouse Urine From Wood
1. Ventilate the Space
Before cleaning up mouse urine, ventilate the area for at least 30 minutes by leaving the doors and windows open. The fresh air will not only eliminate the smell of urine, but it will also get rid of the smell of the bleach, alcohol, or other cleaning product that you are using.
2. Use a Disinfectant
Last update on 2022-06-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The best way to get rid of mouse urine is to spray the area with a disinfectant. Powerful disinfectants are highly effective against life-threatening viruses such as Adenovirus, Parvovirus, and Calicivirus, etc. and they provide long-lasting protection against pathogenic bacteria such as E.coli and Salmonella. Another benefit of a disinfectant spray is that most of them are safe to use around pets.
3. Treat the Area with Bleach
Last update on 2022-06-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
As an extremely powerful cleaning agent, bleach is one of the best products to get rid of mouse urine. However, bleach is a strong agent with a powerful and dominating smell that can leave your head spinning. A safe way is to use a diluted bleach solution. Take 1-part bleach and mix it with 10-part water. Let it soak for five minutes. Then, treat the area with the mixture.
4. Use Vinegar
If you don’t want to use harsh chemicals to clean mouse urine from wood, you can use vinegar. Even though vinegar is a good option to mask mouse urine smell, it doesn’t have any anti-bacterial properties.
5. Use a Steam Cleaner
- Every Bissell purchase helps save pets. Bissell proudly supports Bissell pet foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- Sanitize your hard floors to eliminate 99.9 percent of germs and bacteria without the use of harsh chemicals; (When used as directed; Does not include fragrance disc)
- Powerfresh deluxe steam mop has an on board spot boost brush to remove tough, sticky messes
- Leave behind a refreshing spring breeze scent as you clean. Power rating: 12 ampere, power cord length: 25 feet. Power Source: Corded, Automatic Cord Rewind: No
- Easily fill the water tank with the Included measuring cup
Last update on 2022-06-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
A steam cleaner will help you get rid of all the bad stuff left behind. As discussed above, the wood is porous and may soak the urine. Using a steam cleaner, in this regard, will be quite beneficial for you.
Clean and Disinfect the Whole Area
- Combines Persil detergent plus Boosted Stain Removal
- Power-boosted formula to fight the toughest stains
- Also available in Power-Caps
- Persil ProClean laundry detergents have been optimized for great performance in all types of machines, including HE
- This package includes one 40-fluid-ounce bottle of Persil ProClean Stain Fighter liquid laundry detergent, enough for 20 loads.
- EFFECTIVELY ODOR ABSORBER: Our activated bamboo charcoal carbon adsorption capacity is three times than ordinary carbon, as we added a secondary high-temperature activation process , makes bamboo charcoal bags have high specific surface area and activity to quickly eliminate the odor and excess moisture. Charcoal odor eliminator truly absorb bad odors naturally not covering the odor with additives
- WORKS FAST BY MORE CHARCOAL AIR PURIFYING BAG: According to the degree of smell, the amount of air freshener bags can be appropriately increased to speed up the adsorption rate and quickly eliminate odor and smoke. For example, the adsorption rate of 200 grams activated bamboo charcoal is four times faster than 50 grams. We have different packs of air purifying bags to meet all your needs for purifying
- MULTI SIZE FIT ALL SPACE: We have three sizes of nature fresh air purifier bags can conveniently put in the place where the odor is and comprehensively remove the odor problem in your life. Perfect as shoe odor eliminator, car air purifier and basement odor eliminator. Meanwhile, the air purifying bag stop odor and damp by absorbing excess moisture, convenient natural odor eliminator for daily use to maintain a fresh environment
- DISPERSED ALL OVER FOR FULL FRESH AIR: Charcoal air freshener has an adsorption circle around itself, and the adsorption capacity will decrease by distance. So place charcoal bags in different directions can expand the nature adsorption range in large space and achieve rapid purification. Perfect as pet odor eliminator, basement odor eliminator, smoke odor eliminator. We recommend at least 2-4 packs of 150g or 200g bamboo odor remover bags to eliminate odor in the cars, closet, bathrooms, etc
- NATURAL AIR PURIFIER&GUARANTEE: Bamboo activated charcoal is natural deodorant without fragrance, very healthy for cats, dog and baby. They are with nature flax packing are breathable will long-last up to 2 years, just reactivate them under the sunlight for 2 hours every month and they will work like new again. We are confident with our premium bamboo bags and offer 30 days no question asked money-back guarantee if you were not satisfied with the best odor eliminator bulk
Last update on 2022-06-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Once you have cleaned the area that was urinated on, it is time to clean the entire space thoroughly.
- Use a disinfectant or bleach solution to clean countertops and mop floors.
- If any clothing item or bedding is exposed to mouse urine, wash it in hot water with high-quality laundry detergent.
- Steam clean upholstered furniture and carpets.
Q: Can you get sick from cleaning mouse urine?
If the urine is passed by an infected mouse, there is a high chance of contracting the disease when cleaning the area. This is why it is recommended that people wear protective gear before they start cleaning up the area. Typical protective gear includes gloves and a mask.
Q: How can I protect myself against the dangers of mouse urine?
Mouse urine can act as a host to some serious diseases. This is why it is important to keep yourself protected during the cleaning process. The best way to keep yourself protected when cleaning mouse urine is by wearing protective gear. These clothing items may include:
- Disposable Protective Overall
- Rubber/Latex Glove
- Aspirator Mask
Q: How long does hantavirus live indoors?
Mice and rodents are carriers of hantavirus. Urine and droppings of an infected mouse or rodent often act as the host of the virus. At room temperature, the virus survives for 2 to 3 days.
Q: Is there any way to kill the virus?
The most natural way to kill the virus is to expose the area to direct sunlight. However, if the area cannot get enough sunlight, you can treat the area with bleach – as it is a strong agent that can kill bacteria and viruses.
Q: How to get rid of mouse urine odor?
Mouse urine is pungent and, if left untreated, may linger in the whole room for a long period. Even if the area is treated, sometimes the smell just doesn’t go away. To treat the smell, you can use an odor absorber.
One of the most common natural odor absorbers – and one which is easily found in every home – is ground coffee. Another option is to buy an odor absorber to hang. You can also use an oil burner, incense sticks, or a strong air freshener to mask the smell.
Q: Is there a safe way to dispose of the protective gear that you wore during the cleanup process?
Clothes and garments may contain some remnants of mouse urine that are not good for your health. This is why it is essential to discard the disposable gloves and overalls that you wore carefully.
The Final Word
Homeowners who are facing rodent- or mouse-infestation are often struggling to figure out how to clean mouse urine from wood. Calling a pest management professional every time you see mouse urine or dropping is not a financially viable option. This is why it is extremely important to learn how to clean mouse urine from wood so that you can carry out the cleaning process on your own.