Are you frustrated with cleaning the floors? But the sticky tile floors are not getting cleaned. You must be wondering how to clean the sticky tile flooring. We understand cleaning the tile floors is a daunting task.
Therefore, we have scoured through internet to bring the best cleaning methods of cleaning sticky tile floors. Try these ultimate methods and see the results yourself.
Types of Tiles and Their Cleaning Methods
There is a diverse range of tiles in the market, and we have different tiles laid at our homes which vary from one housing to another. So, once you are figuring out how to clean sticky tile floors, you should look at the following types:
Ceramic and Stone Tiles
Soak your clean rag using warm water and then wring it all out till it becomes barely damp. Now lie down the rag over the sticky surface, leaving it for around 15 minutes which helps in removing all the sticky residue.
Next, you need to follow the same steps of mixing vinegar with water in a bucket and then mop the floor using this solution. What is so beneficial regarding vinegar is that it helps get rid of all the sticky dirt and residue.
You can mop a tile floor using clear water to get rid of all vinegar solutions. Then, dry it off using a clean rag.
Rubber, Vinyl, and Linoleum Tiles
For such tiles, mix 2tbsps of mild detergent in a water gallon within the bucket. Now soak your rag within this solution, next wring it and then dry it out. Next, lay your rag over some sticky spot and position it so that it doesn’t overlap over the seams of the tiles.
If the moisture keeps sitting over such tiles, this can result in a curling-up effect over the seams. Make sure to soak the entire spot within 5-10 minutes.
Now mop the entire floor using a detergent solution, go over the sticky spot until the dirt and residue are removed.
Mop the whole floor using clean water to get rid of all detergent residue. Then, immediately wipe the floor using a clean rag.
How To Clean Sticky Tile Floors?
So, now let’s jump into how to clean sticky tile floors in a step-by-step guideline:
- The use of a steam mop helps in cleaning the stickiness over the tile floors. However, you can also use different ways to remove the stickiness. Have a look at how to clean sticky tile floors:
- Make sure to get clean mops with a warm water bucket, perfect for removing the floor stickiness.
- Use an appropriate amount of floor cleaners that are perfect for your tile floors.
- Clean the floor properly with proper rinsing of the mop. Make sure to pay extra attention to sticky areas only and then dump the used, dirty water.
- Next, get a clean water bucket and then rinse the floor and check the sticky residue. If there are still sticky parts left on the floor, you can repeat cleaning the floor.
- Now, add a cup of vinegar with half an ammonia cup. Using this DIY method can leave the floor flawless.
- Next, allow your floor to completely dry out and then use a soft cloth, towel, or microfiber mop for drying it out.
- If you spilled something on the floor, try to spot clean the floor using the following solution- take a spray bottle. Add ¼ cup of vinegar with 4 cups of water. Next, spray over the residue, let it work for a few minutes, and wipe it off.
How To Prevent Sticky Floors?
Once you are done cleaning the floors but still there is stickiness, find out the ultimate cause. For example, if you are using an extra amount of chemicals, try reducing them. Moreover, if you use the wrong chemicals, it can also result in stickiness.
If you have also been using the same water for the entire home or the floors, you should clean the stickiness over the floors.
Additional Tips for Cleaning Sticky Tile Floors
- Once you are done cleaning the floor, make sure it’s not left moist as it can leave stains on tiles.
- If the sticky area is not so large, the stickiness over the tile floors won’t go away like this using such simple methods. So, try cleaning the tile floor using a solid magical solution. It removes all the remaining residues from the floor.
- Next up, you can also use the steam mops, perfect for removing all the stickiness, making it safe to clean tile floors.
- If you spill soda, honey, oil, or some other sticky substance over the tile floors, you won’t get rid of it easily using simple cleaners. It is because of this reason that you need to buy special cleaning solutions for removing such substances and their stickiness.
- In some cases, your tile’s sea; might come over on the top, making it feel sticky. So, you can strip the entire seal in such cases and then apply the fresh one to get the clear, finished look.
- You can also use a mildly abrasive brush for stone tiles to get rid of sticky residue. For linoleum, vinyl, and ceramic tiles, get your hands on a mildly abrasive scrubber that won’t damage your tiles if used with light pressure.
- Avoid using soap as it can leave residue on tile floors which serve as a surface for attracting dirt and dust, leading to an incredible hassle.
Reasons on Why the Tile Floors Become Sticky
Wrong Floor Cleaning Solutions
For regular cleaning of floors, you need simple soap or cleaner with mild chemicals. However, for some stains, you need cleaners with a potent formula.
The essential tip to remove sticky residues from tile floors includes using a floor cleaner having opposite pH for removing sticky dirt.
For instance, if you are cleaning alkaline soil or dirt, it’s better to get acidic cleaners. However, if you use cleaners having the same pH levels, you’ll have sticky tile floors.
Whichever floor type you have, you need to get your hands on the proper chemicals based on the content and type of soil over your floor. If you have a solid, sticky floor, it’s best to get your hands on the strong chemicals.
Chemicals Over the Sticky Floor
For instance, if your tile floor has oils, acids, or salt residues, you should seek the right chemicals that help remove dirt.
If you use the wrong chemicals on the wrong floor type, it can also result in stickiness. A floor cleaner for bamboo floors won’t work well for tile floors and can make your floors sticky and damage them.
Using Excessive Cleaning Solutions
Most people assume that excessive cleaners can lead to spotless floors, but this is not true at all as this results in sticky residue. In addition, using excess cleaners can result in soapy residue.
It becomes sticky over the feet because you haven’t rinsed the floor properly. Most cleaners come with unique measuring cups which allow an exact amount of cleaner within the water.
Using Dirty Water
When you use dirty water for cleaning the floor, the entire house can lead to a sticky, dirty, and messy tile floor. The problem with dirty water is the mop comes with dumps or dirt.
It eventually leads to stickiness over the tile floors. This indicates you are transferring dirt from one place to another rather than cleaning.
The use of dirty mops can also result in leaving sticky residue on the floor. For instance, if you clean a spilled soft drink or beverage from the floor, it can cause stickiness.
Mopping with the wrong choice of floor cleaners or using too much cleaning solution can make it sticky.
How Does the Residue on Floors Occur Because Of Floor Cleaner Residue?
Floor cleaners are meant to clean the floor, but they might leave a residue that makes your floors sticky. The ingredients in floor cleaners include solvents, surfactants, and water, which suspends the dirt, allowing you to wipe it quickly. The surfactants, however, leave a specific residue over the floors, which makes them sticky.
How To Remove Residue with Ammonia-Free Cleaners?
Sticky floors are annoying, but to remove the stickiness, you can use ammonia-free cleaners. Just spray the cleaner on a two-foot section and let it sit for a few minutes.
Now use a sponge for rubbing the entire section. Then use the damp, clean towel to wipe the area and eliminate the residue.
- Multi-surface design effectively cleans wide variety of surfaces
- Non-ammoniated formula leaves no residue for streak-free results
- Trigger bottle ensures easy application on surfaces to prevent wasteful use
- Perfect for use on aluminum, chrome fixtures, glass and more
Last update on 2021-09-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
How To Clean Sticky Tile Floors Once You Are Done Mopping?
Once you are all aware of the culprits which can cause sticky tile floors, let’s find out what to do once it’s already sticky.
Take your bucket, add a gallon of water and one cup of vinegar. Then mop your entire floor using this solution.
How To Avoid Any Sticky Floors in The Future?
Cleaning tile floors varies based on the spillage and loss of shine. So, get your hands on the cleaning solutions to ensure your floors are neat and clean.
We understand that cleaning sticky tile floors is a daunting task, but once you know that you are using proper cleaners and floor cleaning solutions, you’ll end up with an exceptional cleaning experience.
So, whether you are wondering how to clean sticky tile floors, follow the tips and advice given above to get mesmerizing results without leaving any residues.