Knowing how to disinfect carpet at home makes it easier for you to keep carpets in your family room and other places where there’s a chance of germs harming someone in your family.Carpets give your home a comforting look and feel, but they can be difficult to manage.
If you don’t clean the carpets regularly and efficiently, they’ll end up with stains and grime that will take away from their aesthetic appeal.
How to Disinfect Carpet at Home – Instructions
Here is what you can do to disinfect carpet by yourself:
· Use White Vinegar
Vinegar is a great disinfectant. If you want to know the best way for how to clean carpet at home, vinegar is the way to go. It is not harsh like the most cleaning chemicals are, so there are lesser chances of it ruining your carpet. Follow these instructions to disinfect carpet using vinegar:
- Take a bottle of vinegar and pour 2 cups of it inside of a spray bottle.
- Spray it all over the carpet and wait for it to air dry. Don’t get so much vinegar on the carpet that it becomes damp and soggy. It should only be slightly moist.
- Make sure you keep track of where you’re applying vinegarbecause if you forget to rinse it out afterward, it could discolor the carpet and cause the fibers to weaken. It can also leave a white residue that will show on colored carpets.
- Rinse the vinegar out thoroughly.
· Use Steam
Using a steam cleaner to deep clean the carpet will help disinfect it further. You need to have 1/4th part vinegar, and the rest should be water in the fluid compartment of the steam cleaner. You should try to add almost the same amount of water to the solution to make it less abrasive. However, in situations where the carpets are extremely dirty, you can use a solution of only vinegar as well.
- Let the steam cleaner heat up for a few minutes before using it across the carpeting.
- As you’re using the cleaner, press the steam button once every thirty seconds to release steam.
- The vinegar in your carpet, combined with the steam, will create a disinfectant solution for all the gunk building up in the threads of the carpet.
Note: Let the carpet air dry after you’ve cleaned it and ensure that nobody walks on the carpet until it is fully dry. Dirty feet on a wet carpet are going to end up being even harder to clean than it was before.
It’s better not to use a hair drier or any other appliance to dry out the carpet because the fibers need time to settle back into their place and dry effectively. Trying to rush the drying process might ruin the natural texture of the carpet.
Here are some other ideas if you want to learn how to sanitize carpet at home:
- Use doormats at all the entrances of your rooms so that no one uses the carpets to wipe off their dirty shoes or feet. It also makes cleaning easier because cleaning a rug takes a lot less effort than cleaning an entire carpet.
- Make vacuuming a weekly part of your routine and keep the carpets as clean as you can. Don’t allow children to eat or play with paints in rooms that are carpeted. If you prevent dirt and stain buildup, it makes cleaning the carpets less stressful.
- Get an annual deep cleaning service done by a professional to keep the carpets looking brand new and expanding their durability. A dirty, worn carpet is more likely to have its fibers start coming undone. It also won’t have any aesthetic appeal to it if it’s covered in grime.
Q) How to disinfect carpet without steam cleaner?
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - Backed by a 2-year hassle-free warranty and supported by a customer service team based in Andover, KS.Watts:1500. Volts:120V. Amps-12.5 .PowerCord Length : 15.7 ft, Hertz : 60HZ, Steam Pressure : 43 psi..AMPERAGE : 12.5 amps
- CHEMICAL-FREE CLEANING - Naturally deep clean without the use of harsh chemicals using hot, pressured steam to eliminate grease, grime, and stains from a wide range of surfaces including ceramic tile, grout, granite, sealed wood flooring, laminate, appliances, grills, autos, and more
- LARGE CAPACITY TANK - The 48-ounce water tank heats up in under 8 minutes and provides up to 45 minutes of steam with optional lockable steam trigger for continuous steam cleaning
- 18 VERSATILE ACCESSORIES - Equipped for steam cleaning jobs in and around your home including a floor mop, mop pads, nylon brushes, brass brush, scrub pad, squeegee, and more
- SUPERIOR REACH - An extra-long 15. 7-foot power cord and over 9-foot steam hose provide added maneuverability and reach for those hard to get to places
Last update on 2024-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
A) Steam cleaners can be rented or bought. If you feel that you want to save up on the extra cash and clean your carpet yourself, that is also an option. If you want to know how to clean the carpet without using a steam cleaner, you’ll have to take a few extra steps. Remove all the furniture from the room you’re cleaning. You’re going to get dirtier, and it will take longer, but it is definitely doable and will give you the same results, or close enough.
You will need a bucket, a scrubbing brush, detergent, vinegar, baking soda, and an old cloth or towel that you can use as a rag.
Vacuum the dirt and loose debris first. If you really want to get inside the fibers of the carpet, vacuum in different directions to allow more cleaning solution to enter. Next, sprinkle baking soda over the carpet and leave it for around five minutes.
In the bucket, mix cold water, white vinegar, and some dish soap together. Stir them together until you see foam or soapy-like solution. Together, these will act as a disinfectant for your home’s carpets. Since the solution can be somewhat harsh, it’s better to test it on a small portion of the carpet before proceeding to apply it on the whole carpet. Test it on a small part to see if it is discoloring the carpet.
Take the scrubbing brush and dip it in the cleaning solution that you’ve made. Don’t get too much liquid on, or you risk saturating the carpet with soap. This will leave marks on the carpet after it dries if you don’t wash it out properly. Start cleaning from one side of the room and work your way the other. Only wet the brush again when you notice the solution is running low.
Replace the mixture in the bucket with clean water and use the rag to get rid of all the dirt that the brush loosened up. Keep rinsing and wringing the ragout after each time that you clean a portion of the carpet to make sure that all the soap is picked up. It’s also the best time to scrub a little with the rag too to dislodge any dirt in the fibers.
Q) How to clean carpet stains at home?
- REMOVES DIRT AND STAINS: Pro formula reaches deep into carpet fibers to remove tough dirt & stains
- Removes Dirt And Stains
- ECONOMICAL: Concentrated formula makes 25 Gallons
- For Use In Bissell, Hoover, Rug Doctor And Other Pro/Commercial Machines
- Use this formula with an extractor or steam carpet-cleaning machine for optimal results.
- Every Bissell purchase helps save pets. Bissell proudly supports Bissell pet foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.Power Rating 7.2 V
- Spray, scrub and suction to remove pet stains and messes from carpet, upholstery, stairs, area rugs, auto interiors, and more.
- Grab and go cordless convenience; enjoy the freedom of a lithium-powered handheld carpet cleaner that lifts away stains using formula and powerful suction.
- Formula conveniently stores in the machine and doesn't need to be mixed with water, so it's always ready for use. Charge Time: 4 Hours, Run Time: 15 Minutes
- Instantly and permanently removes stains like urine, feces, vomit, dirt, mud, blood, grass, tomato sauce, red wine, makeup, food grease, vegetable oils, coffee, cola, motor oils and more.
Last update on 2024-01-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
A) Buy a good carpet cleaner that works for the kind of carpet stains you’re dealing with. Some of them come in spray bottles that make it easier to clean a particular stain rather than having to apply it to a large area. If you’re dealing with stains like urine stains from your pets, use a cleaner that relies on enzyme-based detergent. Try this to remove pet stains.
If the stain has dried up, first apply hydrogen peroxide with a cloth and then clean it up with a cleaner. You can also use ammonia and then clean it up with liquid detergent and water. Like always, vinegar is a good cleaner for stains as well. Apply a solution with one part vinegar and two parts water to a stain that is difficult to remove. Leave it for a few minutes from scrubbing it off with soap and water.
Let us know if we helped you learn how to disinfect the carpet at home and whether the solutions we offered were helpful. Remember, carpets are usually expensive and make your room appear comfier and warmer. If you aren’t sure about how your carpet will react to certain chemicals, always check a concealed part of the carpet for any adverse reactions before proceeding further.
People Also Like: