How to Get Cat Urine Out of Wood Subfloor
Kitty cats are adorable pets. However, these cute creatures give you a hard time when they accidentally pee on anywhere but their litter trays. Cat accidents happen everywhere: on the carpet, near your bed, and on the wood subflooring. Cat urine carries a strong, pungent smell that lingers on for a long time if it is not properly dealt with in a timely manner. You’d not want your guests to be welcomed by a whiff of the nauseating smell.
Another problem with cat urine is that it is easily soaked up by porous wood, making it even more difficult to get rid of the revolting smell. Since many homeowners don’t know how to get cat urine out of wood subfloor, we have listed some methods that can make this process easier for you to manage.
How to Get Cat Urine Out of Wood Subfloor
This section is for the people who often ask “how to get cat pee smell out of wood.” By using the right cleaner or by sanding the floor, you can easily eliminate the stubborn cat urine smell from your wooden floors.
What You’d Need
You will need the following items to begin your cleanup process:
- Cloth rags
- Disposable gloves
- Liquid pet odor remover
- Scrub brush with nylon bristles
– Where the Wood Hasn’t Absorbed the Urine
Impermeable wood, by default, doesn’t allow liquids to pass the top coating. If you have this surface in your home, the wood will not absorb cat urine. However, it will soak up the stench of urine. Let’s have a look at how to get cat pee smell out of wood floors.
1. Remove the urine pool from the floor by using a sponge and clean the area with clear water.
- ✅ 100% NATURAL CLEANER - We are setting the "Green Standard' by using only natural and organic ingredients in our formula and listing everything right on the label.
- ✅ PROFESSIONAL STRENGTH - TriNova's Pet Stain & Odor Remover features a blend of natural enzymes that tackle stains and odors at their root to clean and neutralize. The enzymes work to break down the stains, drying out and disintegrating when they're finished to restore your carpet to like-new condition.
- ✅ SAFE Around Kids & Pets - TriNova understands your pets frequent the spaces where you and your children spend the most time as well. Because of this, TriNova's Pet Stain & Odor Remover contains a formula that leaves surfaces safe for your kids to keep on playing without any worry about harmful chemicals or toxins.
- ✅ USE IT ANYWHERE - Use this natural pet stain remover on most surfaces such as bedding, mattress, cage, kennel, laundry, clothes, hardwood, litter box and more. Even use it for small animals like hamsters, rat, and mice cages
- ✅ 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - We think you'll love our product, but if you don't just let us know and we'll refund your purchase price!
Last update on 2020-12-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
2. Spray a cat pee stain removal product directly to the spot. Read the instructions on the product to find out the exact time for which you have to leave the product on the stained area.
3. Using a clean cloth rag or a sponge, wipe up the urine.
4. Rinse the area with clear water.
5. Dry out the area.
– Where the Urine Has Pass Below the Top Wood Flooring
If you have a permeable wood surface – gapped seams – it is highly likely that the cat urine has penetrated into the wood. In such a situation, sanding the floor is the only option left for you to get rid of the stubborn cat urine. During the process of sanding, make sure that your cat is away from the site. This is especially important for preventing the cat from peeing on the bare, unfinished wood. This is because the open pores of the unfinished wood will allow the cat urine to permeate deeply.
How to Get Pee Out of Wood With Home Remedies
Besides using commercial cleaners, there are other items that you can use to get rid of the urine smell.
- For fresh stains, hydrogen peroxide is a good solution. Pour it over the wood and leave it to set. After a few hours, clean the area with a towel.
- Plain white vinegar can also be used to remove the pungent urine odor. Take a few cups of warm water in a bucket and add white vinegar into it. Then, apply the mixture on the stain.
- The solution of baking soda and liquid dish soap is also a powerful agent that helps absorb the urine. Apply the mixture of the affected area and leave it until it dries. After a short while, clean up the soda paste and inspect the area to see if there is any residue left.
How to Get Cat Urine Out of Wood Subfloor – FAQs
Q: Will these methods keep animals from urinating on the same spot?
Cats are inherently territorial. The reason why they spray at odd spots in your home is that they want to mark their territory. This behavior is completely natural – although you might want to see the vet if the cat has been urinating in short intervals. The methods used to get cat urine out of wood floors, sadly, don’t keep animals from returning to the place. And there still exists a chance that your cat may pee on the same spot.
Q: Is there any way to keep cats from peeing all over my newly bought carpet?
Cat accidents on your furniture are frustrating especially when the accident occurs on recently bought furniture items. While there is no formula for keeping cats from urinating across your home, you can use items like cayenne pepper to keep cats away from a secured place. Take crushed pepper in a bowl and keep it near the no-cat-allowed area. Cats hate the smell of the pepper and they are likely to avoid the area.
Q: What type of cleaners should I buy for cleaning pet urine?
Use enzymatic cleaners to treat the area affected by cat urine. Instead of just masking the odor, the enzymes in these cleaners are effective in breaking down the odors caused by cat urine. Apply the cleaner on the affected area and leave it for 24 hours. After that, check whether the odor is gone or not. Also, be careful about harsh cleaners. Try to avoid them as they are quite damaging for your floor and may end up causing serious damages to your subfloor or other furniture items.
Q: How can I inspect the area for urine signs?
A blacklight is an effective way to see if all the urine has been removed from the subfloor or the carpet. Pet urine shows up clearly under a blacklight.
The Final Word
So, your furry friend has peed all over your floor and now you are wondering how to get cat urine out of wood floors. While you can try yelling ‘Bad kitty’ in front of your cat, the truth is this is not going to either change the behavior of the cat or make the urine miraculously disappear.
The only option you have is to clear the area as soon as possible to avoid the urine from soaking into the wood.