Ink stains are known to be quite permanent, which is why when they end up on your carpet, you must deal with them as quickly as possible. One important thing you should remember when dealing with ink stains is never to smear them outwards as this would cause the ink to spread. Instead, blot in small movements to ensure that the stain is confined to the affected area. With that out of the way, let’s talk about how to remove the ink from carpets.
There are different methods for removing ink stains from the carpet, depending on the type of ink – permanent or water-based – and the size of the area affected by the stain. We have explained these methods below and answered some common questions that you might have about how to remove ink from carpets.
Instructions for Removing Water-Based Ink Stain from Carpet
- 4x action: clean, eliminate odors, discourage resoiling in the same Area, & refresh carpets
- Stain lift technology: lift and remove tough pet stains like urine, vomit, mud and feces
- Patented odor elimination neutralizes even the strongest pet odors
- Attached fabric safe brush
- Help keep your fabric, upholstery and carpet looking cleaner longer
- Concentrated formula quickly removes ground in dirt and tough stains with just 1 oz. for HE loads.
- Gentle fabric care and protection, color-safe.
- Sensitive skin formula with natural plant-based ingredients and no harsh chemicals, phosphates, phalates, SLS, formaldehyde or harmful petrochemicals.
- Fragrance free with no masking agents, designed for the fragrance and chemically sensitive (MCS, multiple chemical sensitivities).
- Methylisothiazolinone-free (MI-free), Isothiazolinone free, and also all of their derivatives.
- Combines Persil detergent plus Boosted Stain Removal
- Power-boosted formula to fight the toughest stains
- Also available in Power-Caps
- Persil ProClean laundry detergents have been optimized for great performance in all types of machines, including HE
- This package includes one 40-fluid-ounce bottle of Persil ProClean Stain Fighter liquid laundry detergent, enough for 20 loads.
Last update on 2023-12-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Specialist carpet cleaning products – like Woolite Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner Stain Remover – can help remove stains from your carpet. All you have to do is follow the instructions on the product label, test it on a small area, and then apply it on the stain. Laundry detergents such as Gain Plant-Based Laundry Detergent, Earthview Laundry Detergent, and Persil ProClean Stain Fighter Liquid Laundry Detergent are quite effective against water-based ink stains on carpets. Follow these simple steps to leaving your carpet looking clean and fresh:
- Fill a bucket with warm water
- Add one teaspoonful of laundry detergent and mix thoroughly
- Test the solution on a small area, and if it doesn’t cause any damage, dab the ink spot with it until the stain disappears
Instructions for Removing Permanent Ink Stain from Carpet
Carpet cleaning products like the ones mentioned above can be used for cleaning permanent ink stains too. If these stains don’t budge, try a solution of ammonia.
- Fill a spray bottle with water – almost half full.
- Add one tablespoonful of ammonia
- Spray the stained area from a distance of 15 to 20cm and then blot with a soft, damp cloth
- Dab the ink spout using a solution of laundry detergent and water.
- Finally, dry the area with a fresh cloth and the stain should be gone.
Ink Removal from Carpet – FAQs
Q.1) How to clean ink out of carpet using a homemade solution?
Washing detergents are highly effective against stubborn ink spots, but homemade solutions can also help remove these stains from carpets. You can use distilled white vinegar solution or rubbing alcohol to deal with stubborn ink stains. Remember to test each solution on a small area of the carpet before actually using it to remove ink spots.
- Distilled White Vinegar for Removing Ink from Carpets
Fill a spray bottle with two parts of distilled white vinegar and two parts of water. Dab the affected area and then rinse with soapy water. Add a few drops of lemon to make your carpet smell good.
- Rubbing Alcohol
Pour a small amount of rubbing alcohol on a cotton wool ball and wait until it fully absorbs. Then dab the affected-area and leave it for a few minutes to work into the carpet. Rinse it with warm water and then dry by pressing the area hard with a cotton towel.
Q.2) How to get blue ink out of carpet if a ballpoint pen causes stains?
Follow these step-by-step instructions to remove a ballpoint ink stain from your carpet:
- Get two cans of lacquer hair spray
- Spray them onto the affected area to soften the ink
- Use a clean white towel to blot the stain and continue blotting until the stain disappears
- Allow the area to dry and then vacuum
Q.3) How to get ink out of a rug?
The instructions we have provided above apply to both carpets and rugs.
Q.4) What are some commercial cleaning products that you can use for removing ink out of a carpet?
Some commercial cleaning products that can be used for removing ink spots from carpets include:
- For use on virtually any stain and it is odorless
- White Wizard spot remover works like magic to gently remove tough stains without water from clothes, upholstery, carpet, more
- Remove blood, wine, food, paint, coffee, ink, grass and more! Safe to use, biodegradable, non-toxic, non-abrasive proven for 30 years
- Formula is exactly the same between the white and green tubs!
- Assorted Colors May ship
- WORKS WELL: The ink and stain remover works on the toughest stains; from inks and ballpoint to gel, permanent marker, wine, grass, blood, grease, coffee, baby formula, food, and more.
- MULTIPLE USE: The formula is designed for use on clothing, carpeting, furniture, fabric, tablecloths, upholstery, and other delicate surfaces and skin.
- PROFESSIONAL STRENGTH: Ink remover uses the latest innovation for removing stains. The only SHARPIE RECOMMENDED stain remover on the market! Satisfaction guaranteed! Follow bottle instructions; it’s that simple. Bottle size: 4 fluid ounces (0.1 quarts).
- MADE IN THE USA by Amodex, a Woman-Owned family business since the 1950s.
- PRO TIP: Increase effectiveness by allowing Amodex to remain on a stain for 1-12 hours (use your discretion) before laundering. As long as a stain lightens after a long application, you can repeat applications to continue removing the stain.
- Biodegradable and water-based.=
- Works on all surfaces to remove most types of ink,
- Including indelible ballpoint, permanent marker, highlighter and stamp pad ink
- Also removes nail polish and correction fluid
- 6-IN-1 Laundry Detergent | Color Safe Bleach | Color Booster | Fabric Softener | Stain Remover | Machine Cleaner
- 3-IN-1 Dishwasher Detergent | Rinse Aid | Machine Cleaner
- 10-IN-1 MULTI PURPOSE CLEANER - Bathroom Cleaner | Carpet/Upholstery Cleaner | Floor Cleaner | Glass Cleaner | Appliance Cleaner | Hard Surface Cleaner | Stainless Steel | Toilet Bowl Cleaner | Laundry | Dishwasher
- CLEAN EVERYTHING IN YOUR HOME with Powerizer powder detergent. One product does it all. This powder acts as a laundry powder to remove unwanted stains leaving your clothes fresh, soft, and bright. This detergent powder also works wonders as a powder dish soap leaving your dishes clean and free from residue. Powerizer multi-use deep cleaning capabilities include a cleaning your machines at the same time. No Monthly washing machine tablets are needed.
- SAVE MONEY with this powerful multipurpose cleaning powder detergent. This powder cleaner is not just a laundry powder and dish detergent, use it to clean everything in your home - kitchen, bathroom, walls, appliances, carpet and upholstery, and even your car interior. If it needs cleaning, it needs Powerizer.
Last update on 2023-12-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- White Wizard Spot Remover and All Purpose Cleaner
- Amodex Ink and Stain Remover Liquid Solution
- Mostenbocker Lift Off
- Powerizer Complete Multi-Purpose Detergent & Cleaner
Note: These products are considered safe for removing ink stains from carpets. But you should still test them on a small surface before applying them to the stained area. If no damage results from their application on a small area, use them to remove the ink stain from the carpet.
We have provided detailed instructions on how to remove ink from carpets and answered some common questions that you might have the process. Both commercial cleaning products and homemade solutions can be used for removing ink stains from carpets.
It is worth noting that not all ink stains should be treated equally. You should determine the type of stain you are dealing with and then use the appropriate method. For instance, a solution of ammonia is recommended for cleaning permanent ink stains as these stains are a little trickier to budge. However, you don’t need ammonia to clean water-based ink spots as the use of detergent is enough to deal with them.
We hope you find the information provided above helpful. Even though we have answered most of the questions about ink removal from carpets, you can still reach out to us with any query you might have. We will be more than happy to help you out.