Lightweight Upright Vacuum Cleaners for the Elderly
Cleaning can be a time consuming and exhausting process when you get older, especially if you don’t have tools to help make the job easier. Carrying heavy vacuums up and down stairs is only going to make the process much more difficult.
Finding the right lightweight upright vacuum cleaners for the elderly is important whether you’re searching for a model for yourself or a loved one. This guide will help to explain the top 5 vacuum cleaners on the market that are designed to make cleaning a more enjoyable experience.
Jump to Our Top Picks:
What to Look for in Lightweight Upright Vacuum Cleaners for the Elderly
When you begin searching for the right upright vacuum for an elderly person, there are certain features to take into consideration.
- Weight: The first thing you’ll want to think about is the weight of the different vacuums. Typically a lightweight vacuum should be less than 12 pounds, otherwise it can be incredibly difficult to carry around a home.
- Maneuverability: While vacuuming, the user shouldn’t have to deal with putting a lot of effort into pushing the vacuum across carpet or hardwood. Typically the best lightweight vacuums also offer enhanced maneuverability so you can seamlessly get rid of dirt and grime without much effort.
- Superior Suction: Instead of having to worry about running over the same place twice, your chosen model should offer advanced suction when compared to other vacuums. This not only makes it easier to clean, but also much faster.
- Accessories: The accessories included with most vacuums are designed to make cleaning easier, especially the telescopic cleaning wands and extension wands. With their help you can get into hard to reach places without having to bend over.
- Ergonomically Designed Body: You would be surprised at the sheer difference you’ll experience when using an ergonomically designed vacuum versus a regular one. These models have finger grooves in the handle and easy to reach controls for simple operation and a more user-friendly experience.
All About Our 5 Best Lightweight Upright Vacuum Cleaners for the Elderly
Dirt Devil UD20015
- 11” cleaning path
- 8’ premium stretch hose
- Small build
- Cyclonic filtration
- Scuff Guard
- 5 pounds
- 20’ power cord
Dirt Devil is a trusted brand in vacuums and this unit offers a few essential components to help make cleaning easier and less time consuming.
With the help of the 11” cleaning path, you’ll be able to tackle a larger area in less time than ever before.
If you’re looking for a vacuum that offers phenomenal filtration, this is the unit for you as it is integrated with cyclonic filtration. Cyclonic filtration gets through any type of dirt with the help of incredibly powerful suction that brings the dirt into the reservoir and continues to pull traces of pet hair and even deep-rooted dirt out of high plush carpeting.
It’s common for home owners to deal with scuffing to their walls and furniture while cleaning, but with the help of Scuff Guard, the unit won’t leave any scratches and dings on hard surfaces such as your furniture.
Weighing in at approximately 9 pounds this lightweight upright vacuum is a great choice as it offers lightweight, quick, and powerful cleaning.
Black & Decker BDASV102
- 1 pounds
- Swivel steering technology
- 2L dirt reservoir
- Ergonomic handle and controls
- Washable dirt reservoir and filters
- Useful for carpets and hard flooring
- Pet tool accessory for pet hair
- 3-in-1 crevice tool
This Black & Decker vacuum is equipped with all of the right features you need for an easy clean without any of the bells and whistles. If you’re looking for a model that is going to be simple to operate, this is the one for you.
Coming in at 9.1 pounds this unit is incredibly lightweight and small in size so it can easily be carried around a home. With the help of the swivel steering technology, you’ll experience more maneuverability than ever before.
Another added benefit of the Black & Decker BDASV102 is it offers a 2 L dirt reservoir, meaning that you won’t have to continually empty the vacuum as it can store a lot of dirt. Also, the dust cup and filters are entirely washable to ensure you’re getting the deepest clean possible.
With the help of the ergonomic handle, your hand will fit seamlessly into the unit for maximum control and ease of use.
- “Never Lose Suction” technology
- 6 pounds
- Brush roll shut off for carpet and hard floors
- 2-in-1 crevice and upholstery tool
Shark is an interesting vacuum brand because they always feature new technology in their units to make cleaning easier than it has ever been before. With the Shark Navigator, you’ll be able to take advantage of their “Never Lose Suction” technology, which is designed to ensure your vacuum performs at the highest capacity with every use over the years.
This model is approximately 10.6 pounds which is still lightweight, even when compared to the other vacuum models on our list but what makes it outshine its counterparts is its capability to tackle both carpeting and bare floors.
You will have the ability to easily shut off the rolling brushes while you’re working on hardwood, tile, or laminate, or you can turn the brushes on for dealing with carpet.
With its bagless design, you won’t have to worry about buying vacuum bags, instead you can easily empty the integrated dirt reservoir which is 100% washable.
- “7’ Above-the-Floor Cleaning Reach” technology
- 3 position adjustable height
- Multi-Cyclonic technology
- 23’ power cord
- 2-in-1 tools for stairs, ceilings, fans, etc.
- Washable filters
- System check indicator
Also known as the Hoover Sprint QuickVac this model not only offers a phenomenal motor but also a small body size so it can easily be stored in relatively any closet in your home.
Users will be able to reach dirt in hard to reach areas with the help of the removable handle, which extends up to 7 feet away from the unit itself. The stretch hose is essential for dealing with stairs, windows, ceiling fans, and even the corners of your ceilings.
Instead of offering a generic shutoff button for the brush roll, you can take advantage of the 3-position height adjustment that allows you to clean every type of flooring as efficiently as possible.
Its impeccable suction is as a result of the multi-cyclonic technology. This technology is designed to deal with fine particles of dirt and large items that might be hiding under furniture and in other hard to reach areas.
Also, you’ll appreciate the system check indicator, which allows you to know when it’s time for the filters to be cleaned or replaced.
- WindTunnel Technology
- Quick Fit Release technology
- 30’ power cord
- 3-in-1 combination tool
- 30” extension wand and 8’ stair hose
- Superior maneuverability
- Ergonomic designed body
- Easy to store and easy to carry
As the front-runner on the list, the Hoover UH 70400 is surely designed to impress every type of cleaner.
This vacuum is slightly heavier than the other models on the list as it weighs 12 pounds but it is still substantially lighter than other upright models that you can find. Also, it includes the perfect level of maneuverability to make it easier to deal with dirt found around your home.
The most notable feature of the Hoover UH70400 is its WindTunnel Technology that offers a two-step cleaning process without you having to spend more time cleaning. First, surface dirt will be suctioned off of the floor and then the brushes work to agitate the fibers in the carpets to pull up embedded dirt that might have been hiding for years.
If you’re the type of cleaner that enjoys using attachments, you’ll surely appreciate the Quick Fit attachments that can be released from the unit with one touch and attached easier than ever before. These attachments are essential for dealing with dirt stuck in corners or in high places.
The 30’ power cord is essential for working from room to room without having to worry about bending over and unplugging the unit every time you need to clean another area of your house.
Pros and Cons of Our Best Lightweight Upright Vacuum
- Great for both carpet and hardwood floors
- Easy to set up out of the box
- Useful cleaning attachments
- Easy to move
- Loud operation noise
- Issues with keeping the dirt reservoir attached to the unit
- Cord isn’t long enough for room-to-room navigation
- Difficult for vacuuming stairs
- Cheap build quality
- Wonderful suction
- Simple to put together
- Great suction
- Convenient swivel actions for cleaning around furniture
- Great for pet hair
- Loud operation noise
- Difficult to use on high pile carpets
- Will get clogged if not properly maintained
- Poorly made attachments
- Maneuvers easily
- Easy to assemble
- Easy to empty dirt reservoir
- Maintains integrity after years of use
- Never loses suction
- Dirt reservoir is too small
- Small cleaning path
- Easily tips over during operation
- Attachments are difficult to remove
- Small build which is easy to fit into hard to reach areas
- Easy empty dirt reservoir
- Included attachments are useful for pet hair
- Easy to assemble out of the box
- Multi-cyclonic technology helps to pick up fine debris
- Hose tends to separate from the base
- Will lose suction after years of continuous use
- Phenomenal for dealing with dog and cat hair
- Superior fine debris suction
- Excellent suction
- Works perfectly on bare floors and rugs
- Simple to empty
- Lightweight but built to last
- Perfect operation noise
- Long cord for moving from room to room
- Dirt reservoir needs to be regularly emptied
Final Thoughts: To Select Lightweight Upright Vacuum Cleaners for the Elderly
If you’re in the market for a vacuum that will give you the power and suction you need, these 5 models are the best for you to choose from. They are phenomenal for dealing with all types of dirt meanwhile remaining lightweight so the elderly can easily carry them. With the help of their included attachments and ergonomic controls, cleaning has never been more comfortable and easier than it is now.
Recommended Cleaning Guides for You
- Stick Vacuum vs Upright – 6 Factors to Consider When Buying
- Central Vacuum vs Upright Vacuum – 5 Factors to Consider Before Buying
- Hoover Linx vs Shark Navigator Cordless
- Shark Rocket Model Comparison
Categorised in: Vacuum Cleaner