Nearly everyone has heard of steam cleaners as a carpet or floor cleaner, but did you know that you can also use different types of steam cleaners for walls and ceilings? As a home owner, you’re going to notice an abundance of dirt build up in the areas that you don’t regularly clean.
This is especially true for people with children and pets. Walls and ceilings can attract a variety of different types of grime, especially when you think about the amount of times people touch the walls in high traffic areas. If you’re one of the many home owners that’s beginning to wonder how they can clean all areas of their home, it’s time to find steam cleaners for walls and ceilings.
In This Article
We’re going to give you a comprehensive guide on using steam cleaners to tackle dirt and grime on ceilings and walls. We will give you our picks for the top 3 steam cleaners to handle these stubborn stains. Then, we will give you a variety of other considerations you may have in relation to this cleaning tool.
Jump to our top picks:
The Top Steam Cleaners for Walls and Ceilings 2021
We’ve constructed a great list of useful steam cleaners for walls and ceilings to help you choose the right model for your home. Each has their own list of benefits for you to use to your advantage if you’re looking for something to get rid of dirt that would otherwise be forgotten.
How To Use This List – Before You Get Started
Before you get started with our list, you should know how to pick the device that best matches your cleaning tasks and requirements. Our number one recommendation is to first think of what you are actually looking for in a steam cleaner. How will you use it? How much are you looking to spend? How much functionality do you need?
Consider all your sanitizing needs. Additionally, the types of ceilings and walls you need to clean will have different requirements. For example, you might need a more extensive device if you are going to be scrubbing soap scum out of tile or shower walls. So sit down, consider what you need, and then read this list with your requirements in mind.
#1. Wagner Spraytech On-Demand Steam Cleaner
- Note: Two of Nylon utility brushes and the jet nozzle will be present insider the Black Glass Compartment of Straight adapter. Other two utility brushes available inside the small brown package
- INCLUDES 18 ACCESSORIES AND NOZZLES: Use the included attachments to loosen and dissolve dirt, grease and grime on floors and carpet, grout, kitchen countertops, appliances and more. CHEMICAL FREE STEAM CLEANING: The Wagner 915e Power Steamer is a multipurpose steamer that uses nothing but chemical-free steam to remove wallpaper and clean countless household surfaces without using chemicals
- GREAT FOR WALLPAPER REMOVAL: Easily strip wallpaper with no harsh chemicals needed. The 8 ft. steam hose provides great length for reaching tall walls while stripping wallpaper
- HIGH TEMPERATURE AND LONG RUN TIME: The steamer holds up to 40 oz. of water and heats up to 212°F (100°C) in under 9 minutes. On a full tank, it provides 40 continuous minutes of cleaning power
- EASY TO USE: Simply connect your desired attachment, add up to 40 oz. of distilled water, and turn the steamer on. The orange light will turn off when the steamer is ready for use
Last update on 2021-07-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Wagner gives you a cleaner that relies on the force and heat of the steam to clean all grime and debris. It leaves your walls and ceiling undamaged by chemical reactions that are a common side effect of cleaners with chemical solutions. It removes dirt from crevices, stubborn stains, kills bed bug eggs, and is a fine general cleaner. The cleaner is versatile and safe enough for use in any part of the home. It can be used in cars, on grills, stovetops, bathrooms, floors, and windows. If you have pets and children, this steam cleaner will help you get easily rid of the mess they make.
A Lot Of Accessories
This cleaner comes with a whopping eighteen accessories and nozzle types to make your cleaning faster and better. As a brand that errs on the side of caution, they ensure that there is a tool for everything. The list of accessories attached include wallpaper steam plate, large cleaning brush and mop pad, window and tile squeegee, fabric steamer, microfiber bonnet, jet nozzle, straight adapter, nylon utility brushes, brass utility brushes, fill funnel, angled adapter, and extension poles. Don’t be shocked if you never use some of the accessories. All of these are in addition to the 8 ft. long hose
High Temperature And Long Run Time
Wagner Spraytech gets as hot as 212°F (100°C) in as little as 9 minutes. The 40 oz. tank of water heats up and you can start cleaning as soon as possible. And you can keep cleaning for up to 40 minutes on a full tank. A of these ensures that if your home is ever getting dirty, you won’t have to keep stopping and starting over with the cleaning.
Easy To Use
Running this steam cleaner simply involves filling it up with water, plugging it in, waiting for the indicator light to go off, connecting an attachment, and using it. Thus is as simple as it gets. There is no need to overcomplicate your cleaning.
- Portable design: The steam cleaner is small enough to be carried by a single person.it also has wheels for you to move it about with. The accessories also can be stored onboard the unit.
- Sturdy build: Despite being made out of plastic and rubber, this product is well constructed and will not come apart easily. You should expect to use it for a long long time.
- Easy To Maneuver
- Durable and Long Run Time
- Heat up time increases over time: It takes more time to heat up the older it gets. You can boil the water before adding it to the tank to help you boil faster.
- Short power cord: You will need an extension cord to enjoy this product because the company somehow overlooked the need for a long power cord.
#2. Dupray Home Steam Cleaner European Made
- Up to 40 minutes of cleaning time per fill up.
- PREMIUM ACCESSORIES: complete 14-piece kit.
- POWERFUL superheated steam up to 293°F / 145°C with ADJUSTABLE PRESSURE.
- Made in Europe. CLEAN & SANITIZE WITHOUT CHEMICALS.
- WARRANTY: 3 years / Lifetime on stainless steel boiler
Last update on 2021-07-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Dupray designed Their steam cleaner to be the one solution needed for steam cleaning the entire home. It also has a moderately long power cord and l about 40 minutes of runtime on a full tank. It can be used to clean up and disinfect all types of floors, countertops, walls, ceilings, grout, furniture, mattresses, car interiors, small rugs, kitchens, mirrors, and toilets. It will kill 99.9% of bacteria and viruses in a single go. It will boil in an hour and it can last for up to 40 minutes of cleaning on one full tank. In addition, it has an indicator that shows it is ready to use, an automatic shut-off mechanism, a low water indicator, and a childproof safety lock. What more can you ask for? All of these in a sleek European canister design.
Very high temperature
If you want to use your steam cleaner to disinfect or eliminate pests like bed bugs, this steam cleaner will work perfectly for you. The temperature reaches up to 293°F / 145°C that is higher than the boiling point of water. This will ensure that you kill all insects and germs around your home without any chemical disinfectant.
In this department, Dupray cones with 14 different tools for you to attack all grime, and dirt with. It has a triangular tool, rectangular Floor tool, connector, window tool, two extension tubes, a lance, one microfibre cloth, triangular tool microfiber bonnet, rectangular tool microfiber bonnet, two small nylon brushes, a small brass brush, and funnel.
With all these, you can now clean, sanitize, disinfect, deodorize and decrease any surfaces.
This unit has an all-encompassing three-year warranty and a further Lifetime warranty on stainless steel boiler. The two warranties go to show you that Dupray is banking on the product to last you a very long time.
- Adjustable pressure: You can tune the level of the steam to how you want it to be. That way, you’d not have too little or too much steam while cleaning.
- Sturdy and lightweight build: Both the unit and accessories are constructed out of heavy-duty materials that won’t wear out easily or break. The materials are also lightweight and can be easily moved from place to place.
- Works at a temperature high enough to clean and disinfect
- The power cord cannot be retracted into or coiled around the machine.
- It also needs to cool down before You can refill it with water and there is no gauge to show you the water levels.
#3. COSTWAY 2000W Multipurpose Steam Cleaner
- 🏠【Efficient Cleaning】The 2000W steam cleaner features high steam temperature up to 226°F for deep cleaning. Besides, the work pressure of the steam up to 4 bar, so it can easily removes all kind of dirt in various surface and making the room cleaner.
- 🏠【Uninterrupted Cleaning & Large Tank】The steam cleaner need pre-heating 5 to 6 minutes before using . And with 1.5 L （51oz）water tank, the steam cleaner can work for 30 to 45 minutes according to steam rate. Besides the red LED will light when there is water shortage. Additionally, it comes with an uninterrupted steam release function for easy using without trigger the steam all the time.
- 🏠【Automatic Power Off】The steam cleaner with built in child lock which is designed to protect children or pets from accidental injury. Besides, with a high sensitivity temperature control system, If steam pressure in the boiler is too high, it will be released directly. The green light indicates a pressure of up to 8.8lbs.
- 🏠【19 Versatile Accessories Included】The steam cleaner includes 19 different accessories such as glove, measuring cup, two extension tubes, ironing brush, glass brushing for performing cleaning activity as per requirements. It can perfectly clean different surface and widely used in cars, offices and homes.
- 🏠【Considerate and Convenient Design】Features flexible wheels, the steam cleaner is very easy to maneuver and lift. An extra-long 10ft power cord and 2 extension tubes increase mobility and keep everything within reach while cleaning. And the cord reel and the small accessories storage device keep everything in order.
Last update on 2021-07-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Costway 2000W steam cleaner uses high steam temperature up to 226°F to disinfect and clean all surfaces. The pressure has four adjustable bars. The unit has an extra-large one and half liter tank and it comes with 19 accessories for easy cleaning. The tank heats up in about seven minutes and can work for up to 45 minutes depending on the level of steam. It has a continuous steam function and a low water indicator. In the safety department, it has a child lock to protect children or pets from accidents.
In the package you are given 19 different accessories like a glove, measuring cup, two extension tubes, and ironing brush. All these products should fast-track your cleaning across various surfaces.
The unit has wheels for mobility and you can lift it at once.it has a 10ft power cord and 2 extension tubes to ensure that you reach every place you need to. You can also store small accessories on board. These thoughtful design perks make these Jan attractive products to use.
- Great Offer For Your Money: This unit is giving you all your money’s worth. You won’t be having serious complaints.
- Onboard storage unit
- Easy to use
- Safe To Use
- Long running time
- Accessories to make cleaning tasks easier
In some packages, the company forgot to include the instructions on how to couple the machine. If you buy one of these, do not worry, it is just a minor inconvenience. You can just go online to find, the manual.
#4. Ivation 1800W Canister Steam Cleaner
- MULTIPURPOSE STEAM CLEANER | Versatile Home Steaming & Cleaning System Delivers Powerful Pressurized Steam for Sanitizing & Detailing Virtually Any Surface Including Clothing, Floors, Windows, Ovens, Bed Bugs, Curtains, Carpets & Beyond
- 14-PIECE ACCESSORIES PACK | Expansive Kit Helps You Tackle Any Tough Cleaning Task | Convert the Handheld Nozzle Gun [with Various Small Detailing Attachments] to Large Floor Scrubber, Rotating Brush, Window Squeegee & More
- HIGH CAPACITY ROLLING TANK | Portable Canister Holds Up to 2 Liters of Water for 30 Minutes of Continuous Steam Cleaning | Easy Operation with On/Off Switch, Working Light, Pressure Control Switch, Manometer & Fast 7-Minute Warm-Up Time
- SUPREME SANITIZING ACTION | Steamer Operates at 5 Bars Maximum with Water Temperate Reaching 338° F [170° C] for Dependable Disinfecting Without Harmful Chemicals & Messy, Expensive Liquid Cleaners | Safe for Use Around Kids & Pets
- INCREDIBLE VALUE & CONVENIENCE | Handle the Toughest Jobs Inside & Outside Your Home & Car for a Fraction of the Cost | Great for Eliminating Mold, Mildew, Dust, Dirt, Grime, Dander, Germs & Allergens & Removing Wrinkles from Fabric
Last update on 2021-07-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Ivation steam cleaner is an all-in-one cleaner that can be used across different surfaces in the house for cleaning and sanitation. It works great with, Floors, bathrooms, walls and ceilings, windows, Curtains, Carpets, and more. Utilizing its large tank, and wide range of applicability, you can ensure that your home is free from dust, dirt, grime, germs, bacteria, bed bugs, allergens, mold, mildew, and more. The 16.4 Feet power cord is long enough for you to not worry about plugging and unplugging when you are using it. It also has a nice handle with proper grip, a steam trigger, and a safety lock mechanism.
High Capacity Tank and super hot temperature.
The tank holds as much as 2 Liters of Water for about 30 Minutes of Continuous Steam Cleaning. Despite this not being as high as other steam cleaners we reviewed, but that’s still a long time. Despite this, the heat gets as high as 338° F [170° C]. This temperature means it is more than capable of disinfecting your surfaces in about seven minutes.
Well Designed Unit
What is described as a ‘large water tank on wheels’, you have a product made for convenience. The steam cleaner gives you a very mobile product that can be moved anywhere very quickly to where it is needed. The handles are well placed and it has two wheels to help you move it.
To get a better cleaning experience, You are given 14 attachments to clean up with. The accessories include a large floor scrubber, rotating head brush, window squeegee, large round bristle brush, small round bristle brush, angled power jet tip, floor scrub brush, floor scrub brush adapter, small tip adapter, two extension tubes, cleaning cloth, measuring cup, funnel and you can convert the nozzle into a steam gun.
- Easy To Use: Designed to maximize the user experience. It has a screw top that makes refilling easy, a temperature guide, a manometer (pressure guide) handle that does not heat up, a very long power cord, wheels to get it from place to place, and a lot of accessories to help get the job done. All these just ensure that the machine helps you in cleaning and not hinder you.
- Designed for Safety: You can use this product without fear of getting burned, or children accidentally tripping it on. It has child safety locks, padded handles, and other safety checks in place. It also contains no chemicals that can irritate you or damage your property. The tank has a safety cut-off fuse in case of a power surge.
- Hot temperature that cleans and disinfects
- Durable and easy to maneuver
- Bad accessorizing: Some of the accessories are a bit impractical. They are either too large or too small to be attached or to work optimally.
- Pressure Is Not Adjustable: In a steam cleaner, you sometimes want to adjust the pressure so that you can put more steam on tougher stains and less steam on delicate areas. This company did not factor that into their design.
#5. Bissell Hercules
As a company that is known for their cleaning products, Bissell has also created a steam cleaner that is great for walls and ceilings. Although it does not offer as many features at the Sienna Eco Pro, it is still a convenient and easy-to-use unit that you can keep around your home.
- Compact, lightweight and maneuverable, cleans using only water
- Powerful and quick, Easy to operate and Time efficient
- Water Tank Capacity 50 fl oz
- 1500W Steam Boiler, 45 minutes cleaning time per fill
- Multi-purpose attachments for floor to ceiling cleaning with on-board storage
Last update on 2021-07-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Originally designed for industrial purposes, you can rest assured that the Bissell Hercules will work with any type of dirt that you find on your walls and on your ceilings. Plus, it has a similar canister design to the Sienna Eco Pro so you don’t have to worry about lifting a water tank and cleaning attachment to get to hard-to-reach areas.
- Lightweight and Manuverable
- 50 fl. oz. Water Tank
- 1500 Watts of Power
- 45 Minutes of Continuous Steaming
- Multi-Purpose Attachments with On-Board Storage
45 Minutes of Continuous Steaming: There’s nothing worse than having to stop in the middle of a clean only to refill the water tank on your steamer, especially once you get into the “cleaning groove”. With the 50 fl. oz. water tank you will easily be able to take advantage of 45 minutes of continuous steaming, which is perfect for large and small homes alike. It even gives you enough time to tackle some other areas of your home after you’ve finished the walls and ceiling.
Multi-Purpose Attachments with On-Board Storage: All of the attachments that are included with the Bissell Hercules are designed to give you an all-inclusive clean. This means you can steam any surface – from ceiling to floor to carpet cleaning. The best part is all of the attachments come with on-board storage so you won’t have to worry about storing them separately from the unit. It’s convenient, compact, and easy to use.
- Large Water Tank: The large water storage tank that allows for capacity of up to 1500ml. allows you work non disturbed for the duration of your work.
- Long Running Time: With a steam up time of about 12 minutes and running time of up to 45 minutes, you can be rest assured, doing your cleaning work with ease.
- lightweight and durable
- high quality with multiple accessories and attachments.
- Attachments may need to be taken care of
- There is no water level indicator
What to Look for in Steam Cleaners for Walls and Ceilings
You might be thinking that it would be relatively difficult to use your traditional steam cleaner on the walls, especially when they’re designed to be used vertically rather than upside down and horizontally.
You’d be right! If you need to steam clean your walls and ceilings, you’re going to have to find models with special features, including:
- Attachments: At times, you can find upright steam cleaning units that come with attachments to help you easily clean other surfaces aside from floors. You’re going to need these attachments; otherwise you’ll be faced with the task of holding your upright cleaner against the walls and upside down on the ceiling.
- Not only does this seem like a waste of strength, but it can also lead to water spilling all over yourself or the floors. The steam cleaners on our list have the features necessary to perform this task. They are portable, lightweight, and contain the attachments necessary to get into hard-to-reach areas on walls and ceilings.
- Adjustable Heat and Steam Settings: There isn’t a single heat setting that you can use for every surface of your home, especially because walls are far more delicate than hard tiled floors. You’re going to want to be able to choose either a small amount of steam or a lower heat setting to make sure you don’t do any damage to paint while you’re steaming.
- Safety Features: The majority of wall and ceiling steamers are handheld in some capacity, and so you’ll want to make sure the unit has integrated safety features for the safest operation. One recommended feature is an automatic shut-off that alerts you once the unit is completely empty and needs to be refilled with water. This helps to prevent the boiler from overheating and burning out.
- Soft Cleaning Pads/Cleaning Surfaces: Another important feature to make sure your steam cleaners for walls and tiles have are soft cleaning pads. It’s incredibly easy to scratch your walls, especially if they’ve been painted. The last thing you’ll want is to see marks in all of the areas you’ve cleaned and be faced with the task of repainting your whole house.
Our Favorite Steam Cleaner for Walls and Ceilings
At the end of the day it’s important that you not only have a device that is all-inclusive, but that is affordable and offers the perfect amount of features to get the job done. Needless to say, the first on this list, the Wagner Spraytech is our most preferred steam cleaner on the list. Designed with the end user in mind and therefore making it easy and comfortable to use, it’s a powerful steam cleaner that also has a long running time and cleans at high temperature; thereby cleaning all bacteria and disinfecting your space.
It essentially has everything that you could ever need in a steam cleaner.
Bonus: Alternative Methods to Clean Walls and Ceilings
Of course, a steam cleaner isn’t the only way to clean your walls and ceilings. In this section, we will give you a quick run-down of some alternative methods you might consider to remove stubborn stains and marks. With proper consideration, you can find the best method for your needs.
Mop and Bucket: The “old fashioned way”. A classic tool for cleaning hard to reach spots such as a ceiling is with a mop or a scrubber. Even mopping the area with water can help to remove gentle smudges or cobwebs. Be sure to dry the area after scrubbing to prevent any moisture damage or dripping.
Next up, we’ll show you how to achieve a more powerful clean with your own cleaning solution.
Cleaning Solution: A DIY cleaning solution can be great for cleaning walls and ceilings. We recommend a mixture of 1 cup ammonia, ½ cup vinegar, and ¼ cup baking soda, and a gallon of warm water.
You can apply this solution to walls using a sponge, or to your ceiling using a mop or scrubber. Be sure to clean walls from top to bottom to prevent moisture from dripping down. When you are done scrubbing with cleaning solution, rinse with water and dry.
Pressure Washer: If you are dealing with more heavy duty walls such as outdoor brick or wood, then a pressure washer might be ideal. This is great for extremely stubborn grease and mildew. However, make sure that the pressure washer is not so powerful as to damage your wall.
I hope you have enjoyed our list of the best steam cleaners for walls and ceilings. As you have seen, cleaning a wall or ceiling requires a whole new set of considerations. This is why, before reading our buyer’s guide, you should evaluate the extent of your cleaning requirements. This way, you can match your needs to a product on our buyer’s guide.
We hope our guide has helped you to decide how to get rid of stubborn marks and stains on walls and ceiling. It can seem like a lot of work to remove marks in these hard-to-reach places, but you will find that the results make it more than worth it!
1. How to effectively steam clean walls & ceilings.
A steam cleaner to get rid of stains and unwanted growth like cigarette stains, mold, bedbug and cockroach eggs, and fly spots on your wall, ceiling, and sometimes, the floor. Steam cleaners use the extreme temperature to kill the mold spores and insects eggs and larvae that are causing unpleasant damage to the wall. This process is all-natural and it is highly effective.
- Using a duster or wipe remove as much loose dirt as you can. You can also vacuum it.
- Bring out your steam cleaner, fill it with water, attach the extension hose and cleaning head.
- Plug it in and turn it on to preheat.
- Move the head in vertical moves across the ceiling and walls from one side to another. Always go from top to bottom.
- Pay extra attention to tough spots. However, be careful to not over steam the spot to prevent damage. As a rule of thumb, don’t let a spot get more than ten seconds of steam.
- Do not run the cleaner directly over electric fixtures like bulbs, sockets, fans, and regulators
- Let the cleaned part dry.
2. How to clean painted walls with a steam cleaner
- First, do a spot test of your wall to see if the paint is holding up. This is especially important when you are cleaning a wall painted with emulsion. Swipe your finger on a spot. If your finger is stained by a lot of paint, you should not steam clean. Or you can steam clean just before repainting the walls. This test is important to determine if your paint job is good enough.
- If your paint job is okay, then repeat the instructions for how to effectively clean walls & ceilings.
3. Can I use a steamer on the ceiling?
Yes, you can. Using a steam cleaner on a ceiling will help clean and disinfect your home, while you also kill the larvae and eggs of insects that are residing there.
4. How to steam clean walls with cigarette smoke
Cigarette stains adhere well to paints and ceilings because smoke always rises and the chemical content of cigarettes contain nicotine and tar, which are sticky in nature. Steam will cut through the smoke and break it down in order for you to be able to wipe it off.
Here is how to use a steam cleaner on cigarette stains.
- Manually scrape off the stain. This should make the actual steaming faster, less messy and it will allow you to permeate deep into the stain.
- Run it over with a steamer
- Wipe away the stain
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you get the desired result.
- Retouch the spot with paint if needed.
- Don’t forget to vacuum the floor when you are done.
5. Where does the dirt go when you steam clean
Short answer: it goes nowhere. You only wiped it off.
When you steam clean, you are breaking down the dirt with the heat and pressure from the machine. If it is a speck of small dirt, it could be broken down into microparticles and it will disappear immediately. Bigger dirt patches disappear most times because the cleaning attachment is designed to also wipe or absorb dirt while cleaning.
6. How to clean walls after steam removal of wallpaper
After you’ve steamed off the wallpaper and scraped its residues off the wall, you can just vacuum the floor to clean up the residue.