Steam Mop vs Spin Mop: Which would you choose?
I just so happen to be stuck in between buying a steam mop or a spin mop at the moment which brings up another topic to discuss for myself.
When I make a purchase, I like to look at the pros and cons of the product I am purchasing. I mean, why spend a ton of money if I am getting the same results either way?
Since the holidays have come and gone, I have decided to invest in either a steam mop or a spin mop. While making my decision, I decided to take a look at each product to see which one I like the best.
A Steam mop is mostly used on sealed flooring such as tile, hardwood flooring, vinyl, linoleum and even carpet. The idea of a steam mop is to cover a small less dirty area that is regularly well kept.
The steam mop disinfects the flooring for you without using harsh chemicals to do so. The steam mop doesn’t leave a mess instead it heats water and makes a mist like spray out of jets onto your floor to draw up dirt, stains, dust mites and bacteria that you may not see.
The reason that you should only use on a sealed floor is due to the fact that the moisture from the heated water can damage your flooring if not used as directed. Although it does not clean the floor thoroughly, the steam mop has a cleaning pad that is located at the head of the mop itself that will pick up the dirt. You can purchase multiple cleaning pads to use and yes, they are washable!
- Packaging may vary
- Kills 99.9Percent of germs and bacteria
- The flip-down easy scrubber allows you to clean up the toughest messes, grout, sticky and dried-on spots
- Works 2x faster than comparable steam mops thanks to built-in easy scrubber
- Smart set digital, variable steam control lets you customize your steam cleaning experience (low, Medium, high)
- The Shark Steam Pocket Mop turns ordinary water into super-heated steam to remove everyday dirt and grime that other mops leave behind.20' power cord and a quick-release cord - easily store and release the 25-foot power cord
- Powerful steam on demand - natural mopping motion delivers super-heated steam in just 30 seconds, and dries almost immediately
- 99.9% sanitization* against germs and bacteria. Your steam mop should be ready to use in 30 seconds. Pumping the handle 5-10 times will help generate the correct amount of steam to begin mopping
- 2 washable microfiber pads lift and lock in dirt - no more messy mops and heavy buckets
- A soft-grip handle and comfortable design that make it easy to maneuver without physical strain
- CLEANS LITERALLY EVERYTHING! Nobody likes cleaning! But with the help of the ThermaPro 10-in-1 Steam Mop you can clean the whole house more quickly and easily, making it cleaner and fresher than ever! Clean a lot more than floors with the built-in handheld steam cleaner, or use the flexible hose to put the cleaning power of steam in the palm of your hand. Works great as floor Steam Mop, Carpet Cleaner, steam cleaner, handheld garment steamer window, mirror & glass cleaner & much more.
- CHILD & PET SAFE - PROVIDES 99.99% SANITATION WITH NO HARSH CHEMICALS! Super-heated steam is ready in 30 seconds and kills up to 99.99% of germs without the use of harsh chemicals keeping your loved ones safe. Best steam cleaner for tile & hardwood, cleaning with no chemicals, leaves the floors looking new and really clean. Comes with special surface scrubber, providing versatile cleaning from Top to Bottom. Ideal for Glass, Sealed Stone, Stainless Steel, and Sealed Tile/Grout.
- LIGHT AND MANEUVERABLE. 3 Adjustable modes help you cater the mop's steam level to your specific needs. That's especially important when you're trying to preserve your hardwood floors finish. The steam cleaner 's 340ml / 11.5Oz reservoir is good for 20-25 minutes of steaming on the lowest setting, or half of that on the maximum setting. One real bonus is that it uses tap water alone to steam off dirt, eliminating the need to buy pricey detergent.
- GUARANTEED TO BE HAPPY. We are confident that our steam mops are manufactured under the strictest quality standards to give our customers the very best experience possible. PurSteam is the leading brand in steaming and we back ALL of our products! We offer a FREE REPLACEMENT POLICY without any costs from your side and 2-YEAR WARRANTY, totally risk free for you!
I am going to speak from experience on a spin mop that I used at my grandmother’s house on Thanksgiving while trying to clean up a mess so excuse me if I am biased.
This is why I have to look at the pros and cons on what I consider a “big” purchase for myself. A spin mop makes “deep” cleaning easy. Why you may ask? A spin mop allows you to clean any type of surface. The spin mop also has a mop head similar to a cleaning pad on a steam mop that is full of microfibers that absorb dust and dirt.
Most spin mops come with an angled head as well to clean hard to reach places such as corners or near walls in your house. In recent research, I found that you can remove the mop head as well to clean. I also found that that most of the mop heads can last for a few months to a few years if properly taken care of which can be quite helpful when considering cost.
Depending on which spin mop you buy, they often come with a bucket as well. Although you use the bucket water to clean, the spin mop is made to suck up access water that falls onto the floor while you clean.
The spin mop doesn’t require electricity which makes mopping easier however, depending on the device you purchase, the spin mop can have other attachments that are used for different purposes. One in particular that I can think of is the peddle spinner that scrubs your flooring as you use it getting the hard to reach places and dirt.
- Exclusive bucket design has built-in wringer that allows for hands-free wringing
- Deep-cleaning microfiber removes and absorbs tough dirt and grime
- High-quality foot pedal designed to activate spin wringing, allowing the level of moisture to be controlled
- Features Splash Guard to keep splash and spray inside bucket when wringing
- Compatible with the EasyWring Mop Refill
- GENTLE CLEANING SURFACE: Innovative 360-degree rotating microfiber mop head is gentle on all types of surfaces you need to clean and polish
- BUCKET INCLUDED: Unlike a bucket with wringer, our revolutionary wet mop bucket uses centrifugal spinning technology to clean mop head
- EASY TO MANEUVER: Hurricane Spin Mop is lightweight for easy maneuverability, weighing less than 2 pounds
- 360-DEGREE PIVOTING HEAD: Reach every nook and cranny cleaning your kitchen floor with a pivoting head that reaches everywhere
- Includes Hurricane Spin Mop Cleaning System w/ non rolling bucket
- LATEST EDITION AWARD WINNING and #1 TOP RATED Spin Mop on Amazon. The ONLY spin mop offering LIFETIME WARRANTY for Amazon customers (for 2016 or later models).
- UNLIKE OTHER SPIN MOPS: NO foot pedal, NO plastic spinning axis, NO other unnecessary moving parts (wheels, agitator) to break or cause leaks. Mop head wrings 2X drier than foot pedal version. Sturdy, yet lightest bucket out of all spin mops makes it easier to fill and dump water.
- SELF-WRINGING MOP that easily spins dry with a gentle push on the handle. Hands stay dry, no bending, and cuts cleaning time in half. 54" long handle. Swivel joint pivots 180° and rotates 360° to clean under furniture and along baseboards. It is also great for cleaning windows, walls, cars, and boats.
- SUPER ABSORBENT MICROFIBER mop head (14" in diameter, 2 included) cleans 3X better than cotton, dries floor instantly, and leaves no streaks. Machine washable reusable mop heads last 6-12 months saving hundreds of dollars in refill costs. Can also be used as dry mop to pick up hair and dust.
- INFORMATIVE VIDEOS on Twist and Shout Mop website help the users get started quickly and demonstrate the key features that sets Twist and Shout Mop apart. Authentic product is only sold by Absolushion on Amazon.
The Pros & Cons of a Steam Mop vs Spin Mop
Enough of all the good comparisons of both mops, let’s talk about some of the cons. Although I am stuck between the two, a few things really sale the product for me.
- What I can get out of the product I am purchasing
- The performance level of the product
Although I love the fact that a steam mop will clean and disinfect at the same time, the price can be a bit higher. Both Steam mops and spin mops require a mop head that can be replaced or washed after each use which can become a good benefit and save you money in the long run since you will only need a few pads to use for each use.
What I can get out of each product
I also consider how much use I will get out of it each product considering the price which once again brings another ‘con’ to mind. The steam mop can only be used on certain surfaces. While a spin mop can be used on more surfaces, with an angled head making it easier to clean hard to reach places in your home.
As stated above, the steam mop is used to clean and disinfect your floors. While I really love the idea of disinfecting while cleaning, the spin mop also offers the same performance. However, a steam mop has a tiny compartment attached to the mop itself that stores the water so you have no mess while the spin mop requires a bucket.
Comparing each Product
In comparison with the Steam mop, the Spin mop has a mop head that can be removed after use and washed or replaced but a spin mop also requires a bucket of water and cleaner. If you have children and you are anything like me, you hate using tough cleaners such as floor cleaner and having that smell all throughout the house. Talk about instant headache from all the fumes.
Another downfall of the Steam mop is that it is electric. Sadly this could become dangerous for anyone due to the fact that water is involved on the device and one tiny accident could make for a dangerous situation.
In all honesty, depending on your flooring type and preference, either mop would be a great choice. Each have pros and cons and each specifically have a different function. Fortunately, both clean your floors and both have differences from one another. I say that if you want to use on more surfaces for the best price, go for a spin mop but if you want the extra disinfecting/ cleaning option with natural settings (Water), go for the Steam mop.
I have considered both for quite some time and although I thought I was sold on my grandmother’s spin mop, after research I have remained neutral for both. Something about not using cleaner works best for me and my household but once again, you may consider me biased on the whole ordeal.
Always choose effectively and make sure each product you do consider is worth your money. Don’t settle for cheap because that is exactly what you will get. Be sure your surfaces are best suitable for the product you are investing in. Happy mopping ya’ll!
Steam Mop vs Spin Mop, which would you choose?
People Also Viewed:
- How to use a Steam Mop on Tiles
- Do Steam Mops Work On Hardwood Floors?
- How Do Steam Mops Work On Laminate Floors?
- Does a Steam Mop Really Work?
- Compare Shark Steam Mop Models